1996 40 hp evinrude issues

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Nedo, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Nedo

Nedo New Member

State:
    Ontario
    I am currently having some problems with my 1996 40hp evinrude 2 stroke. First off: it is shaking alot on idle, Secondly: when I don't feed it a little throttle while it is idling it will shut off. Just recently I launched the boat and started the motor and as I was setting up my fishing gear (allowing the motor to warm up a bit) , I suddenly heard the motor make like a flooding noise, and within seconds it shut off and didn't want to start again. The alternator turned over and all, but no go. I took it in, and the mechanic said it may be the vro pump. Does this sound like the problem? That pump is $350+ and I don't really want to replace it if I don't have to. Thanks in advance guys.

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    The first this is , do you have a repair manuel on this engine? If not then get one. You need to get a apark test and compression test and post the results.

Go here and read this. http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32987 The VRO has been blamed for alot of things when in fact it was something else. Ck your fuel system from the tank pick up all the way to the carbs and see if you have a leak or blockage. When it is trying to die do you try to pump your primer bulb to see if this helps. If it has a electrial choke try bumping it while it is trying to idle and it will bring more fuel into the carb and that will let you know if it is starving for fuel or flooding.

But I do stress if you are going to DIY you need a manuel. You can either buy one or go to your local library and check one out.

3. catfishbill33

catfishbill33 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
  4. Nedo

Nedo New Member

State:
    Ontario
    I forget what the mechanic said it was, but he said something with "d" is broken in the vro pump, and it is allowing too much fuel to enter the motor. He said he did a compression test and both cylinders are the same. Would too much oil in the motor cause the motor to shut off on idle (without any throttle) or causing excessive shaking on idle?

5. Nedo

Nedo New Member

State:
    Ontario
    Sorry its too much oil entering the motor and not fuel. Do you guys recommend I have him check anything else, since the motor has not been serviced in 3+ years?

6. Bobwheelr

Bobwheelr New Member

State:
    NC
  7. Nedo

Nedo New Member

State:
    Ontario
    It is the diaphragm that is broken causing the motor to get too much oil. The mechanic recommended I buy another pump, but these diaphragm's can be purchased separately. Do you guys think I should get the new pump, or just replace the diaphragm. The boat was used alot before I got it, if that changes your opinion. The mechanic, including a Evinrude sales rep recommended that I change the whole pump. What are your views on it? The pump still works, just like I said the diaphragm is broken.

8. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If you can get a kit for the pump by all means then get it. A kit is a whole lot cheaper then a whole pump. Yes to much oil will make one idle rough and If you can't rebuild the pump then I can post the info on how to disconnect the pump with out loosing the fuel pump side of it and you can premix.

When you get it running decent then I would think about putting a water pump in to.

9. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill

Don't you think he can get good answers here to. But of course it is a free world and He is free to choose what ever course he wants.

10. Nedo

Nedo New Member

State:
    Ontario
    Ive decided to play it safe and buy a whole new vro pump. Water pump is the impellor correct?? I also purchased one of the impellor kits. Does anybody have a DIY guide to do this?? Another thing: which service manuals are the best to get?? I herd the Seloc are no good. There is another service manual made by Clymer, how are these manuals?? I believe there is also a factory manual. Money is not an issue I just want the manual that will be idiot proof and easy to follow lol, as I by all means have no clue regarding marine mechanics. That being said which one of these manuals is best for me?

11. Nedo

Nedo New Member

State:
    Ontario
    I don't think it can get any better than getting info from a mechanic himself. I appreciate your help alot, thank you!