1994 Johnson 48 SPL surging/dies

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by takirb, May 10, 2009.

1. takirb

takirb New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I took the boat out for the first time 2 days ago and it wouldn't idle for more than 15 secs without fast idle lever 1/4-1/2 up. i had a fresh tank of new gas/oil. Thinking it's probably just been sitting for a bit, i ran it at medium throttle up the lake for about 20 min total and it ran fine. At the end of the run, it still wouldn't idle w/o fast idle lever but ran fine under load.

Took it out again today, same idle problem, but ran fine for about 20 min at medium throttle, then started surging, losing power, and left us stranded for about 20 more minutes. I finally got it back running again and every 5-10 min it'd start surging for another 5-10, then run fine but with limited power only. For most of the trip back, i could barely go faster than idle speed or it would induce surging. I'm calling the shop tomorrow to report this as i just purchased this boat and was told it ran fine. Could this possibly just need carb cleaning or new plugs? I fear the shop will run it fine with muffs or low speed in a tank for a few min and never encounter the problem.

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    It is a fuel problem. It is either a connection getting air or the fuel pump or a carb stopped up.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Darn, BubbaKat, you smart. Thats what I am thinking also. Check the little rubber "o" rings in the fitting where the fuel host from the tank conncts to the motor, and at the tank. They are mean culprits. Just get knicked a little and you SOL.

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Darn, BubbaKat, you smart. Thats what I am thinking also. Check the little rubber "o" rings in the fitting where the fuel host from the tank connects to the motor, and at the tank. They are mean culprits. Just get knicked a little and you SOL.

Guess they still don't have all the hiccups outta the site yet. LOL

5. takirb

takirb New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    got it back today. the mechanic said he didn't have a problem starting it, running it at idle or with throttle. he said the only thing he could think would be a problem was the fuel hose with the primer bulb. he didn't tell me exactly what it was, but offered to show me. I wasn't able to get there in time before he left for him to show me, but i figure i'll replace that hose w/bulb this weekend and see if that fixes it. i went ahead and brought the boat home as i have more work to do on it before next weekend. i'll try to take it out this weekend with and bring my vid camera in case it messes up again

6. takirb

takirb New Member

State:
    South Carolina