1994 Johnson 40 h.p.

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Wabash River Bear, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Bob & Bubba,
    I just bought a "94" Johnson 40 h.p, 2 stroke, tiller, elect start, with hyd tilt assist, model # J40TELERE. This motor is factory imaculate, rate it as a 10 for a 1994, there isnt even any wear on the factory paint on the lower unit. 150# comp on both cyls. Starts right off, idles down smoothly, and revs freely. Lower end sounds quiet and shifts smoothly. I havent had it in a tank or on the water yet but it flows water great with the muffs. I ended up paying $1400.00 for it, does that sound like a deal to you given the info that I gave? Are there any problems with this model and year that I should be aware of ? Thanks for your time.

2. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    I think you got a pretty good deal on it, especially being a 40 horse.

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Good deal and a good engine. The tilt assist works well, but it's a bear when it breaks. There's no moving that engine up or down with out the assist lever and cable in operating condition.

4. Wabash River Bear

State:
    Indiana
    This past week I did a lil maintenance on the 40 before I took it and the new boat out for lake trials, changed the plugs, fuel filter, and changed the lower unit lube. I took her out this past Monday for a shake down cruise. Everything went great. It started right up, got some heat in it and the thermastat opened up and we were making good water. Shifted good and smooth. Never popped out of gear. It ran smooth throughout the throttle range, never missing a lick. From a dead stop when you nail the throttle, she jumps up and drops into plane within a couple boat lenths, and man does she git with the program! On a full blast pass across the lake she flew level and true, I think the only part of the boat in the water was the lower unit and the chines on the bottom. I feel confident with my new used motor, and am convinced I got a good deal. Ready to hit the Wabash now that I know all is well.:cool2:

5. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    If the water pump's never been changed, at least get the impellor changed before you use it much more.

6. Wabash River Bear

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks Bob, I was thinkin about doing that, just to be on the safe side.