1994 Ford F150 Tranny Help

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by Chuckb, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Chuckb

Chuckb New Member

State:
    Pana Illinois
    I have a 1994 Ford F150 2wd with a straight 6 (300ci I think) It has automatic overdrive with the button on the end of the shifter to lock out overdrive. Anyway, the tranny is going out and I have been looking EVERYWHERE for a used tranny. No one seems to have one at any of the salvage yards and it also seems that every salvage yard I call thinks its a different transmission than the yard I called previously. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am scared to pull my boat out of town to go fishing!

2. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    I dont like that tranny in my ford at all. From what I was told they had a lot of issues with some of them the AOT seems to be the better of the 2 the other E40D seems to have some issues with its pump. to tell the difference real fast is look at the pan if it looks like a rectangle but has one corner cut away it is a E4OD if it has more of a square pan that tapers in on both sides at one end it is the AOT. I hope that helps you in determining which one you have. I have the E4OD and after I took the truck in for a recall on the trans I havnt had any issues with the trans yet. What it would do on mine is slip shifting gears one time and slam into the the next time something to do with the pump and the valving. I would just call around adn see what they want to rebuild it. if yoru going to remove and install it yourself you can save a lot of money that way. when I called around the average price I R&R was about 1250 bucks for it to be rebuilt and they R&R was over 2500 with it rebuilt and that includes a new torque converter.

3. Crispy Critter

Crispy Critter New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Like Mutt said you can tell by lookig at the shape of the pan to tell.It's most likely the E4OD which is Electronic computer controlled shift.The 4R100 I think can be used as a direct replacement for that tranny although the inside parts won't interchange.The AOD or sometimes called the AOT was not electronic controlled.
    What symptoms are you having with it?Slipping,hard shifts,or kicking in and out of overdrive?If it's not slipping it could be one of several things wrong causing shifting problems.

4. Chuckb

Chuckb New Member

State:
    Pana Illinois
    Thanks guys, the problem is a severe grinding noise. The slower you go the worse it is and has even gotten to the point of making the truck jerk. Sounds a lot like a wheel bearing that has gone completely out but I ruled that out. I am sure its the tranny because it quiets down when it shifts to the next gear, and stops making the noise if you shift into neutral while moving. The one thing that puzzles me is that I swear sometimes it makes a noise while still in park?? A mechanic friend drove it yesterday and told me it is the planetary gears.:crying:

5. Chuckb

Chuckb New Member

State:
    Pana Illinois
    The pan is rectangular with one corner sloping down. On the case it has some stamped #s looks like FOTP7006C6?

6. Chuckb

Chuckb New Member

State:
    Pana Illinois
    Upon looking closer the #s appear to be FOTP 7006 CB, and there are also some #s on the tailpiece they look like RF-E9TP 7A04G??

7. Crispy Critter

State:
    Missouri
    That sounds like the E40D.The 4R100 I think will interchange with that.It replaced them on the 97 models up.They look like the same tranny.

8. Crispy Critter

State:
    Missouri
    P.M. sent hope it helps you.