1994 ford f-150 sluggish throttle

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by rocko, Jul 23, 2007.

1. rocko

rocko New Member

State:
    missouri
    well lets just start with everything i have replaced. fuel and air filter, plugs wires, cap, rotor, the basics....... engine is running like crap, rough idle, jerky shift points while driving, push the pedal and no go. engine temp is a lot higher than normal.also found oil coming from out of the crankcase relief tube and going into the throttle body, check engine light comes on every once in a while when it is really running bad, but goes back off. im thinking it may be the catalytic converters are blocked.but im not a mechanic. the engine is a 302 ci fuel injected with 110xxx miles nothing overhauled or replaced.the trans is auto e4od and i have had a problem with it yet:embarassed: but i know the time is coming for another backyard rebuild, i heard that particular trans doubles as a boat anchor. if anybody has any insight let me know.

2. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Sounds to me that it may be a plugged converter. Take the exhaust loose at the manifolds and take it for a real short trip and see if it is better. You can also have someone rev it up high real quick while you feel the tailpipe to see if there is a restriction in the exhaust. Could also be a weak fuel pump. You would need to put a fuel pressure gauge on it to check that for sure.

3. dmartin

dmartin New Member

State:
    Alabma
    Same as Jason converter

4. rocko

rocko New Member

State:
    missouri
    i cant take the manifolds loose and drive it. im not looking for an invite to court.thought about just cutting the cats out for right now and doing straight pipe to the muffler until my emissions come due. tried doing a temp gun on the inlet and outlet of the cats but it was designed for nitro r/c cars and doesnt go that high on temp. sawzall might come in handy for this one:wink: just trying to double check before i spend anymore money. anybody have a clue about the oil in the throttlebody? do you think it is being sucked in or blown in due to increased crank case pressure?

5. glenmorebuckman

glenmorebuckman New Member

State:
    Caneyville, Ken
    I've heard that a converter will glow red hot if checked at night when they're plugged. Hope this helps. Have you pulled any codes? Places like Autozone or Advance will pull the codes for free if you don't have a code reader.

6. rocko

rocko New Member

State:
    missouri
    i left the guy at autozone looking for 4 corners in a round room.and he was the smart one!!! not saying they are all like that , but most of them are only there because it is with in walking distance from home and his or her car doesnt run either and are looking for advice also. my truck isnt obdII . it is eec and wont spit a code unless the check engine light is on when it is scanned. went thru this with my 95 e-350, we never even found the eec conn. even took it to ford on a bet with them, if they found the plug i would pay for the time spent, if no plug was found i paid nothing.they learned not to argue with the owner of the truck. i dont argue unless i am 100% positive.

7. glenmorebuckman

glenmorebuckman New Member

State:
    Caneyville, Ken
    Not trying to sound like a know it all, but Ford EEC-IV and EEC-V systems do not need the engine light to be on to have a code stored. The check engine light is connected to the engine control assembly and will come on when there are certain malfunctions in th EEC system. When the light is lit, the ECA (engine control assembly, or computer) has detected a fault and stored a code in memory. The light will stay on as long as the fault causing it is present. Should the fault self-correct, the light will go out but the stored code will remain. I've got a Bronco II that has EEC-IV and I've had a number of problems that only gave intermittent flashes of the engine light, such as , oxygen sensor, bad ground to electric fuel pump and burnt fuse link. If I had depended on the check engine light to be on on these repairs I would have never found them. It once did about like your truck and by using the codes I was able to find that a fuse link going to the oxygen sensor heater had blown and it ran like pure crap. Bad shifting, running rough, black smoke and it also ran a little hotter than usual. I hope I haven't rambled on to long and I hope this helps you! Good luck! Also, after the problem is fixed, you might have to drive it at least 10 miles before the computer resets.