1994 Briggs and Straton 8 HP motor recoil clutch

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by vini, Aug 26, 2008.

1. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    Hey guys any help would be appreciated.

Whats happening is my recoil is slipping I understand there are 4 screws that attach the unit and inside there are 6 ball bearings, if those wear out or get dirt in them and don't engage the clutch you'll get slippage?

I haven't torn it down yet until I get a little bit more info.

Thanks

2. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    it can happen get some break cleaner and tear it down clean it up and try it it could help .they are not very complex

3. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I use gumout or something of that nature. The cleaner the better. Most people think you need to lube the ball bearings up, but that is wrong. Good luck. Later Andy

4. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    Thanks a bunch guys i'm gonna tear it down this week and use some sort of cleaner in there, I was also told theres a fork in there that pops them out that I need to see if it is bent? if the bearings are worn the replacement part is only $12.00

thanks guys for the help let you know how it goes later

5. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    Ok fellers where do I go from here?

Attached Files:

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    That little long square thingy with the round looking base is screwed down onto the crankshaft and that is your recoil starter. It will need to be screwed odd it. I would get me something with a sorta blunt end and put it right next to the bottom edge and whack it with a good hammer and it should spin off. Common replacement can be had from any lawn mower repair shop and most likely you can take the motor to a shop and they will run that one off and replace it for you for a small fee.

7. Midwest Drifter

Midwest Drifter New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Vini take a hammer and punch and tap on them heaver ears counterclock wise and that little unit will unscrew from the flywheel. Try not to mash the threaded holes. I think all they do is hold the screen. I think some of them overiding clutch;s might be press fit, where as if you pry it apart, it will be ruined. You can try to clean it , I think I would buy a new one.

8. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Actually you don't have to unscrew it off the motor. Take the top of the starter clutch off, with a small screw driver and pull out the center and 6 ball bearings. When you get it out, clean it up with some solvent and repalce back on the motor. I usually put the center back in, and then drop the bearings in the slots they go in and then put the top piece back on and then the screen ect. A 10 minute job at the most. I have only had to replace a very few starter clutchs, and these had rusted to badly. Do NOT put any lubrication in with the ball bearings. Later Andy

9. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    Yeah I just want to try clean the bearings first, no lube i understand that thanks guys will let you know how bad I muck this up :tounge_out:

10. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    Ok done but it needs to be replaced the coating on 2 of the bearings is worn off rusted off rather and one is pretty oddly shaped so gonna order another starter clutch there only about $13 bucks thanks guys for all the support gotr dun:wink: