1994 50 HP Evinrude

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Wally, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Wally

Wally New Member

State:
    FLORIDA
    Fellas, found the Boat motor and trailer.:smile2::smile2::smile2:
    1994 50 hp Eveinrude on a 20' Party Craft CatToon.
    Owner says got a little warm iddling around running jugs last summer, no other problems. Cooled off fine when running. Starts first time, everytime. He got a new impeller but never put it in.
    Read, re-read and read again on the tutorial on water pumps..(yea Bob, the mods seemed to listen to the customer...LOL got it stuck to the top. :haha:) Seems pretty straight foward... Any thing different for the Evinrude, that I should look for???? Nutral, 4 bolts, drop the lower unit, 4 bolts, drop the water pump...put 'er back together!!!! Yea...a kid can do it!!!! This ought to be fun:eek:oooh::eek:oooh:!!!!
    Stay close by the puter Willard and Bob...I'm probably gonna need help!!!
    Pick up the boat Thursday!!! YaHOOOO!!
    Thanks Now... I'll be too pissed with broken fingers before the weekend!!!

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Wally, I think there are six bolts. The four outer bolts you mentioned, one large bolt above the propellor, centered on the foot, and one bolt hidden under the rudder thing a majig. Yep, everytime I count them up, I get six.

3. Wally

Wally New Member

State:
    FLORIDA
    Thanks Brother Lawrence!
    See what I mean, 4+4=6:eek:oooh:
    Man...it's gonna be a LOOOOONG weekend!!LOL

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Wally what I suggest is put the whole pump assy in. If it not feeding enough H2o at idle it could have gouge lines in the wear plate and cup. Just a little insurance since its a new to you motor. When you get every thing cleaned then put together add a little dishing washing liquid to that cup and twist that drive shaft in a clock wise motion while appling pressure to the cap and she will slide right together.
    Add just a dab of grease to the splines on the end of the shaft but not on the top because that will preload the bearings it sets in.
    You can do this wally just don't look for a quick way out do it right the first time. we are here if you need us.

5. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Now you've got a boat you can do something with, and enjoy.

If I were you, I'd be really worried about doing that water pump. Thank God I ain't you:smile2::confused2::smile2:

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Bobpaul after all these years you still ain't right in the head. :smile2:

7. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Wally and I have known each other since before time began. He knows my train of thought has jumped the track:smile2:

8. Wally

Wally New Member

State:
    FLORIDA
    Ain't neither of you guys are right!!!:eek:oooh::tounge_out::smile2:

9. Wally

Wally New Member

State:
    FLORIDA
    NOW we know!!!!! Got the boat in the driveway...YEA!!!!!!
    Dang that is much bigger than my little fishing boat!! YAHOOOO

1985 40 HP Evinrude!!!
    Owner says 20-25 mph on the 20' TOON???
    Now the water pump kit question...
    Sierra - 72.99
    Malory - 67.99
    Evinrude - 86.72
    Any ideas fellas????

10. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Do the Sierra. Way more than it's worth, but somebody's gotta make a buck on you.:wink:

11. Wally

Wally New Member

State:
    FLORIDA
    Thanks Bob...found it for about 65 shipped in...87 local

12. Wally

Wally New Member

State:
    FLORIDA
    Thanks Bob...Just found it 65 on line 2 days ship or 87 local

13. Wally

Wally New Member

State:
    FLORIDA
    Ok fellas!!!!
    Time for work
    1985 Evinrude 40 hp!!
    How do I disconnect the shift shaft from the upper end to drop the lower end
    and get to the water pump??????
    I can see it but just cant get to it!!!!

Thanks for this 20 minute job!!!!

14. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    on my 1989 50 hp , i took the starter off so i could get to the bolt easier...

15. Wally

Wally New Member

State:
    FLORIDA
    Thanks Coach...Is that the one I need to take apart to drop the shifter??

16. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Wally if it looks like this one does it is called a bell crank bolt. You take it out, I always just looened them up so far and you can take a ong blade screewdriver and seperate the two bars. It will have a straight pen going through the shifter. Rember how it came out so it goes back the same way and do not turn that shaft any while you have it out.
    Now keep in mind this is a V4 so its going to look some what different but will give you some idea what to look for.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  17. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    wally , on mine , was basically a yoke on the top end of the shift shaft with a special bolt u take out to release the shift shaft from the shifter .... mine is located directly behind and under the starter.................. like bubba said , do not turn that shift shaft ..... there are specs that must be met as far as length of the shift shaft ..............the top end of my shift shaft has a 90* bend and another 90* bend .... easy to make sure u haven't turned the shaft any ....................

18. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Wally, after you take off the starter, use a long extention with a 3/8 swivel/universal 1/4" drive socket, to reach it and loosen it, Grab it with long needle nose pliers and remove that bolt.

I use 8" hemostats to grab those hard to get at bolts. You know, them things that folks used to use as roach clips.:smile2:

Ignore the slot it has in it for a screw driver.

It might even be easier for you to take off the lower carb.

Who da hell said it takes 20 minutes?:smile2: It's at least a day and a half:confused2:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  19. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    The amount of time it takes you to decide that you can do this you will have it done and think to your self ,now that wasn't to bad.

By the way walter if your wear plate looks like this one , please add a new one.

Attached Files:

20. Wally

Wally New Member

State:
    FLORIDA
    Well fellas....I was too WHOOPed last night to reply.
    But thanks for ALL your help!!!!!!!
    My engine was just like Coach Adams said. Yoke...with a slot in the back...Oh yea.... DON'T GET THE SHAFT TURNED AROUND !!! LOL 4 hours later, and 6 or 7 times with droping and reinstalling the lower unit...I figured it out!!! I got it turned the right way, reinstalled the bolt, F N R all working...I think!
    Going to test it tuesday when it warms up to 40'

Old pump completely shot!!! I'll post some pics later. Impeller just bigger than a $.50 piece. Rubber Sand all kinds of unidentifiable junk stuffed into the area where water goes up to the copper pipe. Got all that cleaned out VERY WELL. Entire new pump , housing, O ring, all that stuff! Grease on the spline, NOT ON TOP! Filled the lower unit with New clean oil.
    I belive I can change it out in my sleep...Oh yea... I did!! LOL
    Bob I think once ya figure out how it's sposed to go, I could get it done in an hour or so! Not alowed to have hemostats at work!!! LOL
    Once again thanks for ALL your help!!!
    You guys are GREAT!!!!