1993 Mercury bogs down

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by ar_confederate, May 23, 2008.

1. ar_confederate

ar_confederate New Member

State:
    Minden, Lo
    I'm asking this question for a friend of mine who doesn't know how to post!
    I think its an age thing!!:smile2:

He has a 1993 Mercury 50hp. It will run at full throttle for a few minutes and then it bogs down to just over idle speed. He thought it was crud in the gas tank (built in), so he put a filter on it. It was picking up some crud but it was still doing the same thing. Based on something that I read here, I suggested changing the fuel line and bulb. He did that, in addition to a brand new portable tank. It still does the same thing. We discovered that when it bogs down, we can pump the bulb and it picks back up for a few minutes. It sounds to me like it might be a fuel pump problem. What are ya'lls thoughts and what can we do for troubleshooting? Thanks.

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If he hasn't had a fuel filter on it before it most likely has crud all the way into the carbs. Time to dissamble and rebuild and clean good the carbs and fuel pump. Replace all rubber hoses . from the tank all the way to the carbs. little ones and all.

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Hopefully, he put a fuel/water seporator type filter on it. If he didn't, he needs too.

4. ar_confederate

State:
    Minden, Lo
    Sorry that I didn't respond sooner. Thank you both for the ideas. I'll pass them on to him. In general, do you recommend a water separator for all outboards?

5. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I do.

I wish they made a ethanol separator!

I think a lot of rubber and gasket material is getting destroyed by alcohol.There is already a suit because of the damage it is doing to gas tanks,carburetors,fuel systems and inboard engines .

It cost us Billions in the past and our Senior representatives were around then.It was hidden from the public then as it is now.A lot of folks vehicles are being trashed along with all other types of engines.Great for the economy as so many will have to spend money.To hell with those who can not aford the cost?

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

6. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    and make sure the gas tank is vented!:wink::smile2:

7. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    i'd be a little cautious about doing an OH on the carbs just yet, with all due respect to my wise friend Bubbacat. my experience from working on cars is that if it runs good for awhile and then bogs, it is rarely crud in the carb. i have seen debris move around and cause intermittent trouble, but that doesn't sound like what you are describing. if it consistently runs good then bogs under throttle, that sounds like a fuel supply (or lack thereof) problem.

make sure the vent on the tank is open...if you don't fix it from this forum, try justanswer.com.....there are guys there that can help.

8. ar_confederate

State:
    Minden, Lo
    The vent is definitely open. I learned that lesson a few years ago myself. I spoke to my friend last night and he assured me that he had the carbs cleaned recently but not the fuel pump. I'm thinking that the fuel pump is the problem. Thanks ya'll...

9. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    I had a 5 that did that. It was the vent closed on the gas tank.

10. wvcatfishhunter

wvcatfishhunter New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    My 50 hp merc was doing the same thing. In my case it was loose spark plugs make sure they are tight.