1993 Ford Taurus

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by flannelman, Feb 24, 2006.

1. flannelman

flannelman New Member

i have a 1993 ford taurus and i cant seem to figure out how to get the air filter box open. has anyone else had this problem and how do u get it open. man i hate ford cars. their trucks are OK

2. Crispy Critter

Crispy Critter New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Does it have the clamps on it or the screws at the edges?

3. flannelman

flannelman New Member

it has the clamps, i took them off but it still wont open. it feels like its stuck on somtin...i even tried takin it apart but couldnt find the reason

4. Crispy Critter

Crispy Critter New Member

State:
    Missouri
    It is probably stuck,you'll probably have to pry it gently.Be careful it should have the MAF sensor built into the housing.

5. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i had a '94 taurus a few years ago. it was a great running car, really comfortable to ride in also. however, whoever designed the layout under the hood needs to be thrown in front of a buffalo stampede! as soon as i found out you have to remove the intake manifold to replace the back sparkplugs i sold it!

6. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    Your car will either have the 3.0 or the 3.8 motor
    if the clamps are undone and there isnt anymore bolts holding it on , then more than likely its been in there a very long time and the foam around the filter itself has been molded to the housing, like he said gently pry it apart ,if that dosnt work take the entire housing off to look at it better

And to change the spark plugs on the back side just loosen or remove the front motor mount/ strut and use a floor jack and rock the motor forward, just dont jack up on the oil or tans, pan :)

7. IamMike

IamMike New Member

State:
    Ohio (near cincy)
    I have a 93 (Mercury version) that I have been driving since my truck got wrecked. (Girl ran a red light...boom....ouch...oh no my truck!!!) I'm about to sell it for that very reason. It needs a tune up, badly, but I don't want to go through all of that. As for my air box, it is held down with screws. There are metal screws pressed into the plastic box so you can put the screws in. Sometimes, these will nolonger be pressed in and as you turn the screw, they will turn as well.

8. Snobal

Snobal New Member

State:
    Canton, OH
    To change the rear plugs, Bro. Catfish has the right idea. Take out the front engine mount (looks like a dogbone). Then, rather than using a jack and taking chances, use a ratchet strap between one of the lifting eyes and the engine mount bracket on the core support to roll the engine forward. It is best to chock the wheels and put the trans. in neutral before rolling the engine as you are going to roll the trans. as well.

9. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    its no wonder the US automakers are going under.......

10. IamMike

IamMike New Member

State:
    Ohio (near cincy)
    Its not like changin plugs on a small block Chevy, thats for sure.

11. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    had a 75 chevy monza once with a 350 in it. had to raise engine on it too to change back 2 plugs.

12. Snobal

Snobal New Member

State:
    Canton, OH
    Wouldn't it have been easier to just lift the body off?? How did someone cram a 350 in there to begin with?

13. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    actually the 75 monza came stock with a 262 v8 and size wise its not a lot different than a 350. i put the 350 in it. i think the 76 monza spider came stock with a 305. they were great handling little cars.

14. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    I've never had to take the intake off of a taurus to change the plugs. The only ones I know of where some of the chryslers like the avenger and strutus with a v6 that the plenum had to be removed. Them plugs in that monza were probally easier then the ones in my 84 monte carlo. It now has a 454 living in the engine compartment. Needless to say there isn't much room at all.

15. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    oh i did find out that you can take a 3-4 inch piece of garden hose to put the plugs in without havin to raise engine. just slip the hose around the plug and it makes it easier.
    lol, when i took the 262 out and put the 350 in, i found that the back 2 plugs had NEVER been replaced. It was my sisters car before i got it. guess she paid for tuneups all those years and only got 6 new plugs each time.
    wish i still had that car.