1992 Mercury 115 "Tinny" Noise

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Grizdog, Aug 26, 2007.

1. Grizdog

Grizdog New Member

State:
    SC
    Help!
    It appears that my older Mercury 115 has developed a tinny sounding noise.....kinda like a bearing going bad. We noticed it when we returned to the dock in idle speed. Its most noticable when the motor is in neutral........not very loud, just a noticable change......any advice???

Thanks in advance..

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    That one would be hard to diagnose without being there. Any thing said would be guess work.
    Now, take you a piece of garden hose and next time you are in the water with it running setting idling or which way it sounds the loudest you take that hose and hold it to one ear and run the other end around that motor where you think the noise is coming from and when you get close to it the sound will magnify somewhat. Then you come back and tell me where its at and I'll tell you whats there.
    The hose acts as a stethoscope

3. Grizdog

Grizdog New Member

State:
    SC
    Took it to a local ramp tonight to try to get a better idea where the noise was coming from. Ran it for 15 minutes.....didn't have much time today......and the silly thing did not make the noise. I guess we'll fish this weekend, and try to listen for how long it has to run before the noise starts??