1991 Johnson

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by RRRKKK, Aug 29, 2008.

1. RRRKKK

RRRKKK New Member

State:
    Quincy IL
    have a 1991 Johnson, that is hard to start, thr powerhead was replaced last year as were the carbs rebuilt. It takes a lot of cranking to start. If you turn the schrader valve under the hood it will fire right away. Is there something that goes bad in the electric choke?

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Yes those electric chokes can go bad have some one operate the key while you check for current flow when its engaged and you said the schrader valve are you talking about a red handle and which way do you turn it.

3. RRRKKK

RRRKKK New Member

State:
    Quincy IL
    yes I do mean the red handle, if I remember correctly its at about 3 oclock and I turn it counterclockwise to about 12 oclock. It will fire right away I then have to turn it back or it seems like it will flood.

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    That is you primer selonoid. You need to test it to see if it stiii works. When you turn it it is manuely choked which can lead to flooding.

5. RRRKKK

RRRKKK New Member

State:
    Quincy IL
    is the test procedure in the manual, I do have one for the motor. If not how is it tested?

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    it should be in your manuel and in the mean time I'll look and see if I have it here some where.

7. RRRKKK

RRRKKK New Member

State:
    Quincy IL
    Thanks I appreciate that. It's just an annoyance othet that that it runs just fine. After it's first start it will restart all day and run fine.