1990 Johnson 15 HP- no water

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by bigmaac73, Jul 25, 2009.

1. bigmaac73

bigmaac73 Member

State:
    Lenoir City, TN
    I came upon a 1990 (I was told) Johnson 15hp 2 stroke the other day. The guy said that it had not been started in about a year and a half. I finally started it today and it started right up but there is no water coming out of the pee hole. I had the motor in a tank of water because I could not find my flush fitting. I heard that some motors only release water when the thermostat opens, but I dont know if this is one of those. I am scared to turn it back on, dont want to overheat the motor. I also heard that if I take the thermostat off(if this motor even has one) that I can turn the motor on again and see if there is water comming out then. They said that it will tell me if I have a bad thermostat or a bad water pump. Here is my questions. First, do I even have a thermostat? Second, should there be water comming out all the time? Third, if I have a thermostat, where is it at and what does it look like.

2. Cutbait101

Cutbait101 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    first thing i would do is pull the hose off and make sure its not stopped up,dirt dobbers love to make nest in them.blow it out and try it again.then i would look at the impeller.water should begin coming out within 10 seconds of starting the motor. good luck

3. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Like Mark said, start simple and pull the fitting on the tell-tale at the motor. If you're not getting water at the motor, then check your water pump assembly.

That motor does have a thermostat, it's located on the upper part of the head under the thermostat cover (small casting with a couple bolts in it that bolts into the head) and once you pull the cover it looks just like a miniature automobile thermostat. If you pull it, pay attention to how it came out as it's easy to put it in backwards.:wink: There's also a couple gaskets there that will probably tear and need to be replaced if you pull the t-stat.

You can pull the stat and backflush the block from there as well if you want.

Some folks leave the thermostat out, but personally I wouldn't just because a cold motor carbons more than one at the correct operating temp. If you want to test the stat you can put it in a pot of boiling water and watch it open.

That's probably a lot more than you wanted to read, but I was on a roll:smile2:

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Those engines may or may not have a pee hole. Start it up and look down the back side of the motor about midway. There should be two small holes located there and that is the exhaust relief holes and also where the water will exit when it passes through the block. Should be luke warm to the touch and hotter but never scalding. If there is some steam coming out you have a hot motor.

5. bigmaac73

bigmaac73 Member

State:
    Lenoir City, TN
    ok, I have pulled the little hose off of the pee hole and then got a piece of wire and put it in as far as I could but I could feel no obstructions. Then I put the hose back and blew in it and there was nothing stopping my breath. I also switched from having the motor in a tank to putting the ear muffs on it. Thought maybe that could help if it was dry. How do I go about checking the water pump.

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I would think you are at a point of making a small decision. About the only way to tell for sure about the condition of your water pump is to pull the lower unit and do a visual inspection. Once you have pulled the lower unit, it would be more economical to just go ahead and replace the impellor. Check the housing for blusish coloring indicating overheating, or for scratches our gouges inside the water pump housing. If any scratches, gouges are detected, replace the water pump housing also. Reassemble the motor and test it again. If your running the motor in something like a 55 gallon drum or horse trough tank, to me that would be preferable to muffs. Some motors do exhaust through the propellor and you can't see that when the motor is submerged, but I don't know if one as small as what your testing on exhausts that way... may want to check your manual.