1990 f150 black smoke

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by catoon, Mar 31, 2009.

1. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    i have a 1990 f150 truck 2 wheel drive it has a 5.0 auto .it is drinking gas .it rolls black smoke out the exhaust.i changed the ecm .the tps. aip motor.the map sensor.the oxygen sensor.the module on the dist.the fuel pressure regulature .the fuel pump relay. all vacume leaks are fixed .changed spark plugs .still doing the same thing real black smoke it stinks bad and drinks gas 9 miles per gallon on interstate.faster you go worst the smoke less the milage .any help

2. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    It's not throwing any codes??

3. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Ya didn't buy fuel instead of gas did ya, :smile2: J/k that happened to a station here few months bad, truck driver put
    wrong
    fuel in wrong tank,
    and
    well a hole bunch off vehicles were in the shop.....

Have no idea what to tell ya, like Mike asked, no codes showing up?

4. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    no codes no check engine light no diesle fuel

5. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Not a single luxureeeeeee...Oh sorry wrong song, LOL:eek:oooh:

Have you check the injectors? sounds like maybe a bad one dumping fuel...

6. catin38

catin38 New Member

State:
    alabama
    hi there,
    black smoke is simple. It is burning too much gas . the efi is running too rich. I see you have changed alot of things that cause this situation. Bad spark plugs,fuel regulator,oxygen sensor,etc. This is what i would do first. If the check engine light is not on go ahead and see if you can pull any codes out of computer. Sometimes it stores information and light never comes on. You can also check these things. Have you checked for dirty air filter? Check schrader valve to see if too much fuel is being pumped into fuel rails. The egr valve or its operating system can also cause this situation. Have you checked converter on the exhaust. If for some reason it is not working properly it can restrict exhaust and caus a rich condition that will show itself as black smoke. Also bad coils not giving the spark plug enough juice to burn off the gas collecting in the cylinders will cause this. These are just some suggestions and good luck.:wink:

7. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Check for clogged EGR and also for egr vacuum. Some had an temperature controlled vacuum switch that control vacuum to egr. Does it get better after it runs a while or always rich?

Also has the cat convertor ever been replaced, if not may be bad.

8. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    the warmer it gets and the faster i drive it gets worst

9. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    if it didnt have all the sensors and crap I would say bad rings but with all the sensors on cars and trucks these days its a toss of a quater ....lol .

The wifes cadillac is a joke to work on .

10. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    The warmer it gets, the worse it will be because a hot engine can't handle the fuel a cold one can. Remember the old days with the choke ???

Check your coolant temp sensor, the one wires. If it is telling the computer that the engine is cold it will run rich. It defaults to about 30 degrees Fahrenheit.

HTH, Elliot

11. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    I meant to say in my earlier post, that it is the sensor with 2 wires, sorry

12. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    You said it stinks real bad?? Does it happen to smell like sulfur?? Your catalytic converter could be plugged up from it not running right for a while, might want to check that also!!!!!!!!!

13. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    or if it smells like rotten eggs

14. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Although it's not a always situation but generally when the cat is clogged, you won't have much acceleration @ all, if any.

15. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    i think trnsmsn is prob right the coolant sensor will do that in a heartbeat, also id replace the intake air temp sensor, i have seen the same thing with them, it seems they get coated with oil and gunk and dont read correctly, the coolant sensor will also usually cause it to start very hard when hot after setting 10-15 minutes, thats where i would start on that vehicle

16. Ecfool

Ecfool New Member

State:
    California
    Ok like Bubba says with outboard motors.... start with basic check first before you throw a bunch of parts at it.
    1. check fuel pressure both static and running should be approximatly 45 psi static.
    2. check for pressure drop when you turn ignition off after checking fuel pressure should hold pressure if it doesnt it probably has a stuck /open injector or bad pressure regulator, also check vacuum hose that connects to pressure regulator for fuel if line is wet with fuel, bad regulator (Fords had bad problem with regulators in that vintage)
    3. If fuel system pressue checks good then have a scanner hooked up and read data stream and check for coolant temp readings to increase with engine warming, up if it dont then coolant temp sensor or wiring is bad / shorted
    4. If you dont have equipemnt then men maybe it would be cheaper to take to a shop that does instead of spending a sheet load of money on parts. Newer fuel injected computer controlled vehicles aint like the ones yur granddad had which bailing wire n vice grips could fix it every time damn near

17. catman37

catman37 New Member

State:
    ohio
    is it using oil? if so i'd say piston rings is your problem.

18. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    rings dont have anything to do with it... oil smoke is white/blue he is having black smoke =fuel...

19. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    thks for all the responces the thermosate was stuck open not letting the engine warm up at all .so it seems the computer was burning rich to warm the engine up . after all the work installed a new thermostate and presto problem solved .thks again

20. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Glad you got it !! It's a nice feeling isn't it ?:wink: