1990 DODGE VAN FUEL PUMP

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by catman-j, May 11, 2009.

1. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    Mine quits intermittantly once it warms up. I spent half the day checking wires and connections that I could see without dropping the tank. Some of the wires were nicked up and I wrapped them in take and some of the connections were corroded so I replaced some wire and soldered what I could but it still stalls. I had the fuel pump replaced 2 1/2 years ago and I have replaced the fuel pump relay with 4 different relays. I'm stumped.

2. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    I think it is toast.

3. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    the van or the fuel pump?

4. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
  5. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    Did you replace it with an OEM fuel pump? aftermarkets seem to wear out quickly.

6. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    yes it was replaced with a pump from a dodge dealer.

7. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    id recheck the wires where they were nicked, they get moisture into the wire and can corrode internally, i would run a jumper wire to the feed side of the pump at the tank to a power switch and see if it still stalls, you could have another problem causing this, cranks sensor or something, does it just shut off or act like its running out of fuel ?

8. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    Yes it acts like it's running out of gas but it doesn't act up until it runs for a few minutes. This morning I got it started but it ran like crap as if it was getting too much fuel. I had it towed to a mechanic.