1989 Evinrude 88 SPL

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by RetiredToFish, Apr 18, 2008.

1. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    I have a 1989 Evinrude 88 SPL ... it was running a little hot when running wide open last fall so had outboard mechanic install new thermostats ... the boat hasn't run in the water since they were installed only with ear muff at the shop for about 15 minutes and it ran fine. Now after sitting all winter after running with ear muffs on for only a couple of minutes the overheat alarm goes off .... the water is coming out of the Pee Hole fine and the hole at the bottom. One guy told me it sounded like the thermostats were stuck .... I know NOTHING about mechanics and don't have a bunch of money to put it in the shop. Can anyone tell me how to tell if it is the thermostats stuck or what to do if that is the case. I tried tapping lightly on the thermostat housing while running but didn't help. Thanks .... Garry-

2. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    does it feel hot to the touch warm it up and lay ur hand on the head and see how hot it gets may be a bad sensor

3. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    NO it gets really hot .... can't lay hand on it ...... Garry-

4. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Also .... When it is peeing the water out the pee hole it is cool, but when you shut it off and a little water continues to flow .... it is hot ........ G-

5. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I'm thinking, you may have a blockage in the head, water passages.

Your motor will never be as hot, as when you first shut it off. The water stops flowing, and the heat has no way of escaping.

If you neeed thermoststs, you surely needed a water pump also, if it's not been changed in at least the past 2 yrs, but from what your describing, it could also be a blockage.

6. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Can you tell me .... has the water coming from the Pee Hole ...circulated through the engine block before coming out the Pee Hole? And ... should it be hot or cold water ........??? Garry-

7. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    There's bypasses that will let it circulate without fully going throughout your heads.

Warm is ok.

8. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Thanks Bob ...... can I tell if the thermostats are sticking or anything by pulling the hoses off (one at a time) that go to the thermostats ... while it is running?

I am sorry to ask so many questions ... but I know littery nothing about mechanics and especially outboards .... I try to maintain as reccomended, but that is about the limit of my knowledge ... taking it to marine mechanic is a financial impossibility at time ... as my meager Soc Sec check won't allow it. I just need to know what steps to perform that might possibly tell me what the problem is and I don't know where to start. Thanks .... Garry-

9. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    I JUST RAN OUT BETWEEN RAINDROPS AND FIRED THE MOTOR UP AGAIN ... Observing the engine from the rear I noticed that at the top end of the left thermostat hose it was squirting a small amount of water ... what is that an indicater of ... a block in engine on that side or a stuck thermostat ... ???? Does that help at all for additional information .... after running about 4 or 5 minutes the alarm went off again and I shut it down. It isn't squirting water when just sitting only when the motor is running. ... Garry-

10. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    It shouldn't be squirting water out anywhere, except that peehole and at the exhaust.

Again, when was the pump changed?

11. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    The pump was changed last March and the thermostats in October ....... Garry-

12. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Everytime you go to start the motor, check the pee holes for mud daubers. They will do you a job in an instant.

13. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    You've got more than just a normal thermostat. That's one double pain in the butt to replace. Hard to get to area and hard to clean off gasket material, then you've got the outside cover, the middle plastic piece, 2 thermostats, 2 little white poppit valves, and 2 hard to compress springs, and 2 different gaskets and cork seals around each thermostat.

Try tightening the bolts first, around the cover plate. Don't break those 1/4/20 bolts.

If the thermostats were put in correctly, you'll need the heads pulled to visually inspect for a blockage. It's much easier than doing those thermostats.

14. coble9

coble9 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    yo check the thermostat, pull it out and look at it, then get a pot of water boiling and throw it in. After a little bit, use some pliers to pull it out and see if it has opened up, if it hasn't, replace it. I am no mechanic by far, but if it isn't the thermostat, gonna have to find the blockage. Probably got crud in it somewhere restrictiong the flow. If not, might want to check the water pump, the impeller might be buggered up. Good luck, hope it is just the thermostat for your sake

15. catfish361

catfish361 New Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Gary
    I read your thread and I will tell you what it sounds like to me. It sounds like the water impeller has gone bad. Pull off your lower unit. there is a little rubber wheel that should be replaced every couple of years. I had this same thing happen to me a couple of years ago and it was a simple fix. I believe the water impeller was around $25.he other thing I was told to have checked was the sensor. It is possiable that the sensor has gone bad.
    good luck gary

16. olddriller

olddriller New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Gary,
    I used to take my car thermostats out and put them in a pan of water , and set them on the kitchen stove , heat them up and see if they open up. Worked for my 1949 Ford.

17. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Gary I am kinda tired right now but I will get some pictures up of some spots for younto check for heat as the motor is running so we can tell if you have a blockage inside that block. I am like bobpaul you sound like you have some blockage in there. If it were mine I would remove the t-stats and poppet valve and remove the lower unit and run some water straight through that block from the water inlet tube that comes up out of the water pump.

18. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Bubba, It's obvious that those that say, remove and test the thermostat, haven't a clue at what a pain it is to get to those t-stats, in that engine.

Guys, be careful of what info you follow.

19. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    You are right Bob because two of those small bolts you have to take part of the housing off to even access them.

20. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    That is one of my reluctances .... I watched the marine mechanic change the thermostats last fall .... Garry-