1988 Force 125

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by hcsdf4, Mar 30, 2008.

1. hcsdf4

hcsdf4 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    OK......I have been fishin for as long as i can remember but I am now a boat owner for the first time and I have questions.

I bought a 1988 Hurricane Deck Boat equipped with a Force 125hp outboard. When I forst got the boat i knew it had engine issues and that was figured into the purchase price. I took it to the shop and they replaced 2 ignition coils and 2 CD modules.

The motor does run better but i dont feel like I am getting the speed that i should out of it. It is running about 4200 rpm at full throttle which i have been told is about right (thats IF the tach is correct). My top speed at this time with only myself and my wife on board is 23 - 25 mph and this is measured by my gps. And the boat doesnt seem to be getting completely up on plane loike I think it should.

I had it out this weekend and had my stepson and a friend on board with us (4 people total) and it would hardly get us through the water. 17 - 18 mph.

I need advice...........have already gotten the advice to ditch the Force motor but that isnt financially feasable at this time.

All help appreciated.

2. handyronokc

handyronokc New Member

State:
    Oklahoma ( Central )
    Two things come to mind while I was reading your info:

1, were you able to trim the motor up which will bring the bow of the boat up an will help increase your speed, ( less ploughing through the water )

2, remove the prop and take it to a Prop shop and ask them to advise you whether it is a power prop (slower) or a speed prop ( faster).

P.S. I've heard all the dirt on these Force outboard engines too, and for that reason I don't like them either,, But there is still a lot of them out there Still running.

3. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    when you are ready to sell that junky ole force let me know!! :wink:

4. russ

russ New Member

State:
    dexter. mo
    i had a 120 but it was a 98 , it had a power prop on it, would only get about 4200 rpms i put a diff. prop on the rpms went up to 5200 made a big diff. other than that the motor run fine and the guy i sold it to just loves it

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Who ever told you that 4200 on the rpm's was right for that set up did not know what they were talking about.
    I would do a compression check and spark test to see if that old gal has anything going on in that area. If it passes that then I would look at putting a smaller pitch prop on it.
    I am saying that at 4200 rpm's you are working the heck out of that engine.

6. hcsdf4

hcsdf4 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Thanks for the input here guys. I have the boat at a friends house ( since i dont have a place to work on it living in an apt at this time). Going there this afternoon to see what prop is on it. Doing some other work as well. I was thinking that it may be a prop problem myself but with my limited experience with boats, I wanted to ask. Will let you know what I find.

7. hcsdf4

hcsdf4 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    OK............checked the prop this afternoon. Cant find any numbers on it anywhere. I did find that is a Michigan Wheel. Only marking I could find stamped on it were an "S" and what appears to be a "20". Guess I will try to find a dealer that can ID it for me.

8. hcsdf4

hcsdf4 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Finally made it to the prop shop today with my prop. Of course he knew right where to look UNDER all the paint for the number on it. He says it is the right prop for the boat and motor, a 15 pitch.

I also discovered other reasons for my woes. I have the boat at home to redo the floor and wiring. When i got the carpet up, I found TWO 3/4 inch plywood floors in it. Having some construction backround, I know how much extra weight this is in the boat. Also, this boat has been kept in the water for some time now and the bottom is filthy. SO, I am going to finish my flooring and wiring project, clean the hull good and see what I have then.

I would like to honestly thank the ones that have given me advice here. Being new to boat ownership, I have ALOT to learn.

9. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Yep that is a whole lot of extra weight and he's right that 15 ought to get it done for you. I would say after the bottom cleeaning aned the extra ply removed it will feel like you put another motor on it.