1988 Chevy 305 Help

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by ooks, Nov 5, 2005.

1. ooks

ooks New Member

State:
    Dunkirk IN
    Here's the problem, 88 chevy van 305 throttle body started idleing about 40 mph. and when you would go to accelerate she would hesitate and start bucking, well when I fianally gor her home and shut it off it would not start again that night. Next morning went out and started right up but was idleing real fast and couldn't move it in drive or reverse would die. Used alot of gas so I checked the oil and the oil pan is full of gas. Changed the throttle body but same problem. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. The old girl has 218 K miles on her and only used for fishing. Thanks Ooks

2. supraturbo3000gt

supraturbo3000gt New Member

sounds like yourpiston rings are fried and fuel is leaking thru . do a compression check and see what numbers it gives you. either that or an injector or injectors are stuck wide open. that what it sounds like to me. but what do i know i work on supras

3. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    I think I would put another carb on, and change the oil & Filter.and
    keep a close eye on the oil
    You should be able to find a good used carb at your local salvage yard.

4. ooks

ooks New Member

State:
    Dunkirk IN
    Thanks for the reply's fellas. Allready changed out the throttle body same problem. If the injectors are stuck what would be the solution? If the rings are fried would it still idle and run at at afast idle? Only askin no idea. Do you fellas no what controls the gas preasure to the throttle body itself? Thanks Ooks

5. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    I'm not a Auto mechcanic, But from what you said, it has dumped a ton of gas into the crankcase and you said it would idle real high, That tells me its in the carb, and it has probably been dumping that gas into the C/case for awhile. If my memory serves me right a busted fuel pump will also allow fuel to get into the c/case., .

6. ooks

ooks New Member

State:
    Dunkirk IN
    Thanks for the reply canepole not what I wanted to here, lol but you are probably right. Guess its just time to retire the old girl. Ooks

7. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    It may not be time to retire the ol girl, you are just getting to much fuel, and its washing your cylinders and dumping fuel into the C/case. if its not fixed soon, it will mess up the cyl walls and then it will be time to retire her, I realy believe that another complete carb would fix the problem. You said you replaced the throttle body were you talking about the complete carb or part of it...

8. ooks

ooks New Member

State:
    Dunkirk IN
    I replaced the complete throttle body , it doesn't have a carburator canepole it's throttle body injected . thanks for your reply. Ooks

9. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Ooks I would try a tempeture sensor. It will cause the high idle and the flooding condition. It is located near the thermostat housing at the front of the engine. If this does correct the problem be sure to change the oil pretty soon.

10. ooks

ooks New Member

State:
    Dunkirk IN
    Thanks Jason will give that a try. Ooks

11. Kittyhunter

Kittyhunter New Member

State:
    Princeton, NC
    Ooks, the older throttle body engine were bad for the TB gasket leaking and sucking air which will cause a high idle and possibly the stalling in gear, but you said you replaced the TB, did you replace the gasket? The injectors are in the TB so if you replaced it, you already have new ones. You can check the gasket by spraying carb cleaner around the base of the TB. If the engine changes, it's leaking. Be carefull not to let it fog into the opening of the TB as this will cause false results. It could be the temp sensor as Jason said, that would cause it to run rich and probably blow black smoke. That would explain the gas in the oil. If it runs rich, some gas could get past the rings and into the oil. DO NOT RUN IT WITH GAS IN THE OIL!!! It will take the bearings out FAST!! Get it out and change it a couple of times after you fix it. The throttle position sensor could be faulty which would make the computer think the throttle was open, therefore the computer would deliver more fuel. Also check for vacuum leaks in other ares, like the brake booster hose, pcv valve hose, etc.

12. ooks

ooks New Member

State:
    Dunkirk IN
    Update on the ole girl. Changed temperature sensor and also put a new throttle body gasket on her. Changed the oil and filter the ole girl runs like a top again. Fellas I really appreciate all the input, I had no idea what the problem was. Supra, Canepole, Jason and Kittyhunter you guys rock. Thanks again fellas. Ooks

13. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    jason probably got it right, ooks. i too have an 88 c-10, and those were bad about the temp sensor wiring at the connector deteriorating and shorting or going open. did you get a little pig-tail with the sensor to replace the connector and several inches of wire?
    the sensors also fail from time to time.....glad you got it fixed

14. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Ooks, that is what makes the B.O.C. so great. we have members that are knowledgeable in all aspects of problems. You did not have to Pay labor cost!! :D :D

15. ooks

ooks New Member

State:
    Dunkirk IN
    So very true Top. Never thought of it that way but very true. Ooks

16. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Glad to hear ya got the ole girl back on the road. :)

17. Kittyhunter

Kittyhunter New Member

State:
    Princeton, NC
    Good deal. It probably was the temp sensor since you said it was running rich.

18. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    that is something to watch for on all injected vehicles is the temp sensors. fords like to have a lot of issues with thier iac on thier 300 6 cylinders. when they act up they either wont idle up when cold or when you kick in the ac or like to die when you put them into reverse. also on these engines change out the o2 sensors at regular intervals they will cause rich lean and over all poor running its one of the most overlooked parts of a engine.

19. gater460

gater460 New Member

State:
    eldon,mo
    cane pole i might be wrong but if its injected it dont have a carburator

20. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    nope if it is injected it isnt carburated. on the cevys with the throttle body it looks like a carb but it isnt it has two injectors in the center of the throttle body