1988 7.3 diesel wont start,

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by emptyhook, Apr 6, 2008.

1. emptyhook

emptyhook New Member

State:
    north carolina
    help ...please:confused2: i have 88' 7.3 ltr diesel ford f-350 that runs perfect, but will not crank for the first start of the day without a shot of starting fluid. i know this [ either] cannot be good for the engine. once you get it started in the A.M it will crank fine the rest of the day. this thing is driving me :crazy: any help greatly appreciated. chris

2. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    Do you mean it wont turn over on the starter or that it wont fireup. if it wont turn over have your batts checked sounds like a dead cell on one.

3. emptyhook

emptyhook New Member

State:
    north carolina
    no sir, i mean it want fire up. it turns over fine.

4. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Glow plugs? or maybe a cracked injector, that allows the fuel to "drain" off over night? have seen both before? Luck to ya on it being cheap and easy to fix, I would try and stay off the spray if you can....... Maybe pull the fuel line in the morning and see if it has drained off?

5. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    It's probably got a air leak in the fuel lines/return lines and is losing prime overnight. Also make sure all the glow plugs are good and the glow plug timer is working ok.

6. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    One way to check it is let it sit overnight then in the morning let someone else crank it while you hold the bleeder valve on the fuel filter open. Hold a rag in front of it so it don't spray fuel all over. See if you get fuel pumping out right away or air....

7. emptyhook

emptyhook New Member

State:
    north carolina
    thanks a million brothers, i'll try your suggestions asap, and get back to you later. again thanks alot.

8. OkieBo

OkieBo New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    It could be both the fuel loosing prime and the glow plugs. I have had a several of these motors. Most of the time it is the glow plugs. They used to be about 10-12$ a piece. One rig i had to bypass the timer and work it manually with a horn button. Ether is an addiction to these motors. Burns the plugs. And like Mike said if you do test the fuel pressure at the schrader valve, cover what you dont want sprayed! That sucker will shoot!(learned the hard way)

9. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Also a quick way to check the glow plugs is to get a test light and hook it to the positive on battery, then pull the wire off each glow plug and touch the light to the tip. If it don't light up the plug is bad...

10. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    I had an 85 non turbo that started doing the same thing. After days of serching it came do to the needle valve on the fuel line was leaking air. After it sat over night it lost prime enough to keep it from cranking. All we had to do was tighten the valve. My glow plugs didn't work either though. Never replaced them either. It would crank right up in the summer, but in the winter it'd crank and run on 2 or 3 cylinders for a while pouring out white smoke:crazy:until she got warm enough to get all firing. The neighbors loved it:smile2:

11. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    I would say glow plugs, Timer and if you have a block heater will it start off if it is plugged up.

12. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    it could also be getting dependant on the starting fluid. i wouod remove that system asap. once they get depndant on that, they will not ever start without it. since it is only doing it in the morning, then you might be ok, but if its doing it all of the tie, then you are asking for trouble if you continue to use it. i would look at the glow plugs. if that motor is fairly cold then it will be a pain to get running in the morning if your glow plugs arent working. sounds to me like your glow plugs could be cracked or even shattered. good luck

13. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Yep, that's good advice, if you have never removed the glow plugs before or in a long time you probably should remove them and check their condition even if they test good. They get shorter over time and sometimes the element will deform. If they deform too bad you could possibly not be able to remove them, then you got a bigger problem. I don't know if they still do but Autozone used to carry the Motorcraft Beru plugs for a decent price.

14. OkieBo

OkieBo New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I was so glad the day we sold our last 6.9/7.3 series trucks! We used them up until 1996. That last 87 superduty was a nice truck but i was relieved to see it loaded on a goosneck headed for another ranch! Hopefully never to be owned again!:smile2:

15. emptyhook

emptyhook New Member

State:
    north carolina
    thanks everyone for all the knowledge, advice and expertise. trust me , slowly but surely it's sinking in. not having alot of spare time to work on this thing is my biggest problem right now, but soon i hope to repost with update:wink:
    thanks again brothers.