1988 40hp Johnson VRO(what part is this???)

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by JohnnyRuuDe, Nov 4, 2008.

1. JohnnyRuuDe

JohnnyRuuDe New Member

State:
    vermont
    Can anyone help me identify this part? I pulled my carbs and VRO for cleaning. While I was in the engine I pulled my High Jet Lines(?)(the very thin ones) off to run a thin wire down them for any obstructions. I accidentally broke the tiny plastic nozzle(not on the carb side...on the other side) The line goes from the carbs to a small black cylinder about 1 1/2 in. in diameter and 3 in. long that has a red plastic turn tab on it. When this tab is turned one way it seems to release the pressure in the fuel system?? I need to replace this cylinder because I can no longer attach my high jet line to it. Anybody know what I'm talking about and perhaps what this part is called? Any help would be great as my engine is ready to go except for this one small part! -THANKS!

2. CATMAN1979

CATMAN1979 New Member

State:
    WARSAW MO
    Not sure but i believe that is your choke selanoid.

3. JohnnyRuuDe

JohnnyRuuDe New Member

State:
    vermont
    thanks for the input...I'll search that part and see if the picture matches. Nice fish!!!

4. JohnnyRuuDe

JohnnyRuuDe New Member

State:
    vermont
    one more question while im thinking of it...What position should the red plastic turn tab be in...1) parallel with solanoid 2) perpendicular to solanoid 3) ...or at a 45 degree angle to solanoid?
    Each position seems to have a different effect.

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    It should be parallel with it and that is called a primmer solenoid.

6. JohnnyRuuDe

JohnnyRuuDe New Member

State:
    vermont
    Thanks again Bubbakat!! Is there anything you DON'T know about these engines?? ;) I've learned so much from you already and I'll be sure to pass the knowledge on to others..."may the fish be bitin' and the bugs be sleepin' "

7. JohnnyRuuDe

JohnnyRuuDe New Member

State:
    vermont
    thanks Bubbakat! with your help I might just get back out on the water before the snow starts fallin'! ;)