1988 25 hp Johnson repairs

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by smackover, Mar 16, 2009.

1. smackover

smackover New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I have a 25 hp/1988 year/Johnson OB/Sn R7790743.

I want to learn how to replace the water pump impeller.....not getting water thru the tattletale (have blown air in it and still no water)

I also want to learn how to replace the seal on the foot...expect there is something around the prop shaft that keeps water out of the lower
    unit.

Any help will be appreciated .

Regards

Smackover

2. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Both fairly easy jobs, but I really suggest you get a manual for that motor. It will walk you through them step by step. You will have to drop the lower unit to replace the impeller. And you may need a puller to replace the prop shaft seals. Once you drop the Lower unit the impeller housing will be right there. Probably 4 bolts to remove. You will have to get a water pump kit which are fairly cheap. I would not suggest running that motor again until it is repaired. I am not sure if the smaller motors are set up the same or not. But you will need a puller to remove the bearing carrier to replace those big O rings. I could be wrong on your motor set up, but its just a shot in the dark without looking at it. I am sure bubbakat will know for sure.

3. jrack1

jrack1 New Member

State:
    mo.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. smackover

smackover New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Got the job done.....thanks to your help and advice.

Regards

Smackover