1988 140 horse evinrude

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by badbob46, Dec 30, 2007.

1. badbob46

badbob46 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    my engine doesnt have a remote tilt and trim switch.. i need one badly because i fish alone a lot and i cant put the transom saver on without a switch i can reach.. i have the switch already but am having trouble wiring it.. can u make me a wiring diagram or direct me to a website that has this info.. thanx .. robert

2. Skipjack

Skipjack New Member

State:
    LaGrange, Ky.

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Robert what type of trim unit do you have. Is it orignal equipment or is a aftermarket one and how many wires coming out of the trim motor.

4. badbob46

badbob46 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    its the original trim unit and its a 3wire set up

5. badbob46

badbob46 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    thanks skipjack..i will try that site too

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Are the colors green ,blue, red or green blue and black.

7. badbob46

badbob46 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    i cant answer that question tonight since its too dark to see but i will check it first thing in the morning and let you know

8. badbob46

badbob46 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    we have had a week of rain and temps in the 20's..it finally warmed up today and i got out there and looked closely at the wires on my trim unit.. the unit itself has just 2 wires going into it.. a green one and a blue one..they are large wires and they come out of the unit and go under the hood where they plug in to a wire harness that consists of 2 wires the same size and color.. i cant tell where those 2 wires come to an end..they disappear under the engine someplace.. there are also 2 other wires that go to what looks like some sort of switch that is activated when the motor gets lowered or raised, it has a little arm protruding from it that the engine touches as it is moved..i hope this is enough info..i tried a simple splice into the green and blue ones with my switch and then took the ground wire from it and grounded it , but that didnt work..

9. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    You have a wiring harness that goes up to your trim switch in your control box. It comes from a relay box that operates the trim motor. It should be located on the left rear side, or possibly the rear of the engine.

Inside this harness are 3 wires. A red/white, blue/ white/ and green/white.

Tap into this harness for your rear mounted switch.

10. badbob46

badbob46 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    thank you..i am gonna go out there right now and see if i can locate it..

11. badbob46

badbob46 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    i found everything you described.. now what?..i experimented a little bit and got the motor to move with the remote switch but when i hooked it up that way the wire got hot and it only worked for like a second... there is a terminal block with 3 sets of screws running vertically.. the top 2 have red wires coming in.. the next set has the blue/white wire on the left screw, and the green/white wire coming to it.. the next set down have blue wires coming to both sides but they are painted black.. then in each of the 2 bottom corners are a couple of screws with black wires coming to them..i have experimented a little bit but every time i get the motor to move at all with the remote switch..it goes about half an inch and then stops and nothing will work for a couple minutes til it cools down again.. so i would say that so far all i have done is find a way to short it out.. once it cools off it works fine again from the throttle switch..we are getting closer but i still need a little more guidance thanx.. Robert

12. badbob46

badbob46 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    a lot has changed since my last post a couple hours ago.. i was out there testing again and this time i got the motor to move downward for about half a second and then it quit..only this time it didnt cool off and start working again. instead now my starter switch is dead too and the throttle switch for the tilt doesnt work either..i have a spare motor that was in running condition when i removed it so i pulled both relays from that engine and changed them out but that didnt help..also while i was at it i , i removed the remote tilt switch and wire harness from that old motor and installed them exactly the way they were on the spare engine..i am confident i have the remote switch problem solved now.. but now there is this much larger trouble of having no respose from the starter switch.. could it be i burnt something in the computer box?..if so i have 2 spare ones i can try ..

13. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Check and see if you have blown an inline fuse to the starter motor.

14. badbob46

badbob46 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    i will check for that fuse.. i changed out the computer and that didnt help anything..you answered what was going to be my next question which was, is there a fuse someplace that i need to check or possibly a reset switch..

15. badbob46

badbob46 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    i checked under the hood and i didnt see anything that looked like a fuse.. would there possibly be somethingcloser to the control box? i am still dead in the water.. no power from the key or the trim switch but i do have power to the rest of the console..

16. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    The fuse will be near your starter solenoid. A shorter than normal fuse of 20 amps, in a red rubber housing. When it blows, all power to the engine start and trim, goes out.

Stay out of the relay box. You need to locate that 3 wire harness that comes from your engine. Look where all the wires come out of your engine.

You should have the main engine harness, the control cables and the trim harness. There will be a 4, not 3 wires in it. The 4th wire will be for the trim sending unit. You can disregard that 4th wire. It will be white with a tan colored stripe.

17. badbob46

badbob46 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    i found the fuse this afternoon and that solved the problem..it was right where bobpaul told me.. i already had the remote trim switch hooked up yesterday but couldnt test it until today when i found the fuse.. and now that works perfectly also.. so thanks to both of you guys for your help.. you saved me a good bit of cash with your helping me do this project myself and i really appreciate it..Robert

18. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Now go fishin'

Too bad about LSU loosing tonight:wink: