1987 Mariner 90hp low idle when cold

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by loanwizard, Apr 24, 2006.

1. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I have an 87 mariner 90hp that starts and runs great. However, when it's cold it will die when i go to shift it which is quite annoying when I am at the dock and have already released my mooring lines. I have tried to let it idle for 5-10 minutes before shifting to warm it up a bit, but it still does it. I am afraid that jamming it into full forward or reverse will damage the shifting capabilities, but don't know what to do otherwise since the top on the pontoon (8x12 hardtop) acts like a sail. Besides, it is potentially dangerous as far as property when I do this. Is this a simple fix? Is there an adjustment screw on the carbuerator? If there is, where is the carb on my motor.

Thanks in advance from a man who should never have a tool in his hand :rolleyes:

2. loanwizard

State:
    Coshocton,
    Oops! I thought someone had answered.

3. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    hey man, mine was like that too, i got a bunch of stuff repaired on it, there is a carburater adjustment right on the back of the engine, it is just a little knob( on my eveinrude anyways) mine says rich or lean, that may need adjusted a little bit

4. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    An 87' 90 Mariner is a 6 cyl engine, carb for each cyl. Which of the 6 would you like to adjust?

I believe you can just lengthen the end of your throttle cable by screwing it counter clockwise to increase idle rpm's.

I'll get more on it tomorrow.

Until then, beware of the wannabe's advice.

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Might help a bunch on the idle if you decarb that big ole hoss. The sixes have a tendency to carbon up worse then the smaller ones.
    The fuel system through out the carbs might be just a tad bit gummed up

Heck just a thought.:)

6. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Thanks Bubba, my post later today was going to include a basic tune up.

Why put up with those minor agrivations for the rest of the boating season, when a basic tune up could cure it?

A trip to the shop is in order.

7. loanwizard

State:
    Coshocton,
    Thanks Guys. Will try the throttle cable adjustment then will make the decision to either pull the barge or put up with it.

Thanks very kindly for the help. 6 carbs, what were they thinking?!?!

8. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    They were thinking big money and lots of horses.:p And you.:)