1986 Mercury 50 HP Starting Problem

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by CatHunter24, Apr 12, 2009.

1. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    Took my boat out for the first time yesterday, and I am new to this so not real sure what is going on. The motor will start in the throttle only position and pretty easily..i would of course back the rpms down as soon as it started. But it did not fire up in neutral, wouldnt turn over and I was using the electric choke. I did not try to get her turned over in neutral on the way in because it was getting dark and i was in a hurry, so i did the method that was working. The motor was running a lot better at the end of the day, it had not been ran in 3-5 years so i think the carb was gummed up or the fuel in the line was old. I have had a few guys suggest cleaning the carb, or that it may have worked itself out after running new gas through it. I also have been told that may i need to adjust the carb to make it richer to fire up in neutral or to adjust the timing to get it to turn over. Any ideas and suggestions would be welcome.

2. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    forgot to mention its a 2 stroke, 3 cyl...

3. catfishcatcher

catfishcatcher New Member

State:
    indiana
    I would have the carb cleaned along with changing the spark plug and filter. Remove the old gas and remix new in. Also when you are done for the day while the boat is on the trailer remove the fuel line on the motor while the motor is running. This will run out all gas from the engine and prevent the gas from gumming up the carb. Good luck.

4. Laker2

Laker2 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Never run that motor out of the water or you will be doing more harm than good. It's also not a good idea to unplug fuel line to run gas out of carbs- When you run out of gas, one carb will run out first and the cylinder that is is not getting gas is also not gettin oil. Running dry is not good for cylinder walls.

5. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Replace all the rubber lines on it also. I burned up a 1987 150 Mariner that had bad gas and oil lines.
    Pete

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Rebuild those carbs and replace the fuel lines and fuel pump with new plugs and do a decarb and replace the water pump do a sync and link with carb adjustments. A manuel will be handy in doing all this if you don't you will burn a hole in the top of the piston and by no means pull the line and run the engine until itquits

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I didn't think that was hard starting for a merc... actually thought it was normal. lOL

8. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    I have the manual and the resources on here. Was changing the plugs and filter anyway this weekend. Hopefully I can figure out the impeller and waterpump as well as cleaning and rebuilding the carb. I have minimal mechanic experience....more of a woodworkin guy....so, I may have to find some help around my area. Or ask a lot of questions on here. Thanks for the input and help guys.