1986 Johnson 40 hp controls TOO SHORT

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by SC Hartwell, Jan 14, 2007.

1. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    Ok, so my buddy got the new johnson which came off of an old pontoon. We got it mounted up and everything, then we notice that the gear shifter control and the throttle cable are too short! :angry: We ordered 2 new 20' cables that are the correct fittings. I was just wondering if you guys knew how to take the control boxes apart so that we would know how to take it apart to install the longer cables! Thanks

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Jason, I'll see if I can link you to some exploded views of the control box.

Does this mean you have given up on your lark?:roll_eyes:

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    here you go. You might have to down load it and size it upwards some but should surfice. If it don't drop youe e-mail and I'll send it to you.

4. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    I have not, I got it running... took it out on the lake and was smiling from ear to ear. The idle is a tad bit off but I am satisfied. Still worried about that propeller nut though :big_smile: ! Thanks for the link, I will see if it works!

5. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    Thanks It looks like he should go to the local marine shop and get them to do it! :happy:

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Jason you two can do it. Just take the front face plate off and it has the cables right there. Take the plate off and take the old ones out and reverse the procedure for the new ones. Its a lot simpler to remove the cables at the control box then it is at the motor to me.. All that stuff you see in the picture doesn't come out. That is an illestration on how it all fits together.