1985? Evinrude 70 HP

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by BOTTOM, Oct 19, 2009.

1. BOTTOM

BOTTOM Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have a 1985 ( im pretty sure) evunrude outboard. I bought the boat used of craigslist and the guy said the motor was rebuilt. I took the boat out and lets just say it doesnt run so great! NOW the symptoms!

I'm rollin up river and the boat gets up on plane and im rollin along fine. Then you can hear the motor bog down and the boat goes to a slower idle with the trottle handle still open all the way!

I replaced all plugs, they all have a spark.

The coils tested good.

New power pack.

120 compression on all 3 cylinders.

The top and bottom cylinders you can see the blackish on the spark plugs, but the middle spark plus still looks new?

Only thing I can think is blocked carb. Any thoughts?

2. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    I would clean the carbs first. If it has been a while that is always a good place to start. That way you can rule that out. The next thing I would do, is put some SeaFoam in the gas. That stuff works miracles. I keep it in mine. Does it have an inline filter? Check that. If it doesn't be sure to put one on it. That is where I would start before I did anything else. Be sure all the linkage on the carbs is free.
    I know you will get some good answers from others.

3. BOTTOM

BOTTOM Member

State:
    Kentucky
  4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Try pumping the bulb when it goes to bogging down. The fuel pump may be weak. If the plug is dry and untarnished it most likely like you said no fuel. Se how long it set before you bought it. If it had been at least six months the redo the carbs.

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Most definitely a fuel related problem. You can get carb repair kits from your local auto parts stores. Does not take a rocket scientist to clean and reassemble the carbs. Hardest part is setting the float level. You still have a problem after that, look at the link and sync adjustments. And the last advice, is if bubbakat says its so, it is so. LOL

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill

What was meant by this post.

7. BOTTOM

BOTTOM Member

State:
    Kentucky
    LOL, Just a bump to the top. Took the middle carb off and it had 3 nice size pieces of junk in it. (looked like old gasket)

Runs good now!

8. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Make sure to clean all the little tube and holes out with compressed air before reassemble.

9. BOTTOM

BOTTOM Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Check that! already done!