1985 70 hp Johnson

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Drawout, May 7, 2008.

1. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Bubba this question is from a friend of mine,He has been having fits out of his 85 Johnson 70 horse. It started out running bad and he noticed the primer bulb was sucked down,he changed fuel pump fuel line and gas tank.The problem is still present and now he said it has water coming out of exhaust .Do you know what may be the problem ?

2. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Bump to the top.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Johnnie, I believe you'll find its normal to have water come out of the exhaust, especially if it is those two rectangular holes on the rear of the motor. If those are the holes your referring to, you best hope you do have water come out of them. But I believe that particular motor exhausts through the hub, so you would not see water coming out.

The way your statement reads is somewhat confusing...your wrote "he changed fuel pump fuel line and gas tank". Is that the fuel pump, the fuel line and the gas tank? There is a difference. Normally the primer bulb sucks down due to a blockage of some type. This could be trash in the pick up tube inside the fuel tank, a "soft" fuel line which collapses when the fuel pump starts pumping, a kink in the fuel line, or the gas tank vent is not opened. Those things all need to be checked, and not "I thought they were okay" checked. Actually look at them with the motor running.

4. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Yes he changed the fuel line,the fuel pump ,gas tank,and also a couple fuel lines on carbs.Sorry for the confusion.I also thought the water was normal but he was concerned so i asked.thanks for any and all suggestions.

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Johnnie those old 3 cylinder 70 had some heating problems to start with. I would suspect from what you are saying is that the carbs are dirty. The motor is suppose to let water out the two exhaust ports on the midway of the lower unit, that is common.

6. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Ok thanks Im gonna print the carb rebuild tutorial and give it to him because his is just like it.I kept thinking it was dirty carbs as well but i wanted to ask here first.

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Johnny, you may try to encourage him to run a compession check on the motor also. It's sort of like taking a human's temperature...it lets you know something is going wrong.

8. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    There's a $5.00 charge for each page printed on that carb tutorial, for Bubba's retirement fund.:wink:

9. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    And it's well worth it!:smile2::smile2: