1985 15 Hp. Johnson

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by hunter007, Feb 3, 2006.

1. hunter007

hunter007 New Member

State:
    la
    I had to change carburetors in my 1985 15hp Johnson. When I went to put all of the parts back on I cannot figure out what do to with the spring that controls the arm that stops the pull start flywheel. The arm that I'm talking about is red and the spring is in the middle of that arm. What does the spring attach to? Thanks! http://tinypic.com/view/?pic=n3tczn

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Hunter look at the wear marks on the rounded end of the red arm where the swivel pin is at and see if it don't fit there.

I'll go to the shop and dig out the oem manuel on it in the mean time.

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Alright here is what I came up with. My Manuel doesn't cover to much about this but I do believe you look straight down on the spring and rotate it 360 degrees clock wise and it rests against the Long red arm.

Look on the bottom of the spring and it should have a short extension on the bottom that rests against the base to make the spring have a pushing effect when you rotate it 360deg so it will rest against the arm.

4. hunter007

hunter007 New Member

State:
    la
    Thank you so much Bubbakat! :) I'll go home this evening and give it a try. I couldn't figure it out and didn't want to break anything at the same time.

5. hunter007

hunter007 New Member

State:
    la
    Bubbakat, one more question: That silver wired loop that is sitting on top of the red arm - isn't that supposed to be stopped by the two arms that stick up to the left of that loop? Each time I pull the pullstart, that loop keeps raising up and spinning around til it hits the flywheel. What's the secret on that?

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    That should be to the left of that little metal bracket.

7. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri