1984 lower unit out

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by billcatfish, Jul 28, 2008.

1. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    will not go into reverse what do you think is wrong an what can i do with it

1984 johnson 115
    model number j115tecte

if the lower unit is out iv got a i think its a 74 125 johnson will the lower unit fit off this one on the 115 model number is 125esl71c

2. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I see Bubba down there, he'll give you the real scoop, but I know the LU off of a '75 wouldn't work with my '80 75hp. Different shift rod.

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I'm certainly no mechanic but are you sure the linkage hasn't backed off? Just an idea

4. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    the first thing that was going on with it was when i put it in reverse it would just set there an click an i tryed to adjust it with the cable just went about half a turn with it seemed to help it go in an about half way throw the night it just stoped going into gear reverse

5. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    I fought the same problem with my 140 and the cluth dog and forward and reverse gears were bad. Probably a ball park of 400.00 to 500.00 in parts to repair that. Mine was a 77 model and the gears were not available any more. They still have the gears for yours.

The 125 johnson is a 71 and if memory serves me right, it will not work on your 84. I think its 79 and above.

6. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind