1984 Lowe 20" Jon Make-over

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by BKS72, Jan 22, 2008.

1. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I bought this boat last summer and it had 20 year old, 3/4 plywood decks in it. The decks were rotted in places and the paint was badly oxidized. I decided to add pour foam, new decks, a front and rear storage area, and repaint the ol' girl.

For the decks I'm using a 1/4 plywood underlay and 1/4 pine tongue-and-groove material for the actual deck. I laminated the underlay before laying the TNG material on top. I could go thin on my deck matieral since it's supported underneath by the foam. In the attached pix it has it's first coat of epoxy, but will be getting another coat or 2 and a layer of fiberglass cloth to improve waterproofing and add a little strength.

In the back I've added a small casting deck with storage space and a built-in cooler. The bottoms of the storage areas are appoximately 4" above the hull and are lift-out so I can access my drains, etc, as needed. I still need to complete the lids.

The boat was originally side console, but I'm converting it to center. In the pix, you can see the PVC stubs and control/steering cable tunnel where the console will be relocated to. You can also see the drain tubes that run to the bilge. Since I've sealed the below-deck spaces, any water will run to the back, through the pipes, and to the bilge. I cut the trim pieces on an angle to help "feed" the water to the drains. The PVC wire runs were put in under the ribs in the hull strakes and the foam poured over them.

I cut sole plates of 1x4 to go over the edge of the TNG deck and cut them to fit snug around the ribs on the side, added the vertical trim pieces, and then backfilled with pour foam to seal the edges.

All hardware is either stainless screws or aluminum 3/16 rivets. I riveted the deck down since once I fill the screwheads with epoxy it'll be easier to drill out the rivets than grind out the screws if I want to change anything down the road.

I'm adding another small step/storage area in the front, along with a flush-mount hatch on the existing casting deck to convert that area to dry storage and make a smaller step down when coming off of the casting deck. I have the front bulkhead in, but still have to make the top part. I fabricated an aluminum plate to cover the top part of the original opening in the front under the casting deck and act as a support for the new step/storage area.

Everything will be trimmed in aluminum angle to protect the corners, help with waterproofing, and just to make it purty:wink:

I removed the rod box down the side as well. I figure I've added approximately 30# to the boat by the time I calculate all my adds and subtracts, but it's worth it to me to have the (I think) cool looking TNG decks and added water proof storage. No livewells added since I'm CPR on big fish, don't fish hardly any tourneys, and clean any eaters pretty quickly after catching.

Attached Files:

2. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    That floor turned out real nice. Good job.

3. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Wow, I can't wait to see that bad boy spring.:roll_eyes::cool2::big_smile::big_smile_2:

4. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    That deck is looking sweet Branden! Very unique! Have you thought of bringing the planking further up the ribbing on the sides?

Sure looks good, ought to be easy to clean also!

More pics as you go please!:big_smile:

5. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I may go further up the side with real thin gauge aluminum and pour foam behind it. I think I've added all the wood I want to at this point. That will probably be next winter's project along with whatever I need to tweak that I'll find I don't like about this setup:wink:

6. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    Nice job Branden, it is looking good. Thanks for the pics.

7. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    That varnished floor is liable to be as slick as snot when wet.

8. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Ya think?:smile2:

It's purty, though! Branden will look good on it.:wink:

9. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Actually if this epoxy finish is like what I've used at work, it shouldn't be too bad (we actually wetted down the floor on some 'poxy we'd put down there and tried to slide across it:wink:) Already planned to put non-skid in the final coat just to be safe. I'd hate to dent my pretty floor with my hard noggin falling down in the boat:smile2:

10. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Branden,
    Looks like you have a couple of very eager helpers in the first picture. My little man is only five but he is chomping at the bit to help with anything involving a boat. You should have seen him pulling off the masking tape and paper the other night.:smile2::big_smile:
    The boat is looking real good. What do you plan to build you center console with? Keep the pictures and updates coming. Nice work.

Thanks for sharing,
    David

11. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Dave, I just added the other side to my original console. Yeah, Eric (my 8 your old) likes the 4" grinder and any other tool he can get his hands on. I posted some other pix of the project in the Local MO thread, below are links to the kid grinding off some stripped out screws for me and before/after pix of the console. She's not going to be as cool as yours, but it'll be a lot better than it was:wink:

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66111&page=4

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66111&page=11

12. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Branden,
    Thanks for the links to the other pictures. The little man is into all the sparks with that grinder. Work looks very nice. You boat will be cooler to you than mine, its yours and you are doing the work. Some with me and mine. Something about spending hours, days, weeks, or even months working inside a boat. You get attached to them in a strange sort of way. I did a lot of work to an older boat a few years back, sold it just after I got it finished.:crazy: I still sometimes wish I had not sold that boat. Great little fishing boat after I spent weeks working on it to rig it like I wanted.
    Can't wait till my little guy gets a few years older and he can really get his hands dirty helping dad and mom won't kill me for letting him.:smile2:

Thanks again,
    David

13. MoCatfisher

MoCatfisher New Member

Lookin' good Branden...nice work...keep the updates coming...

14. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    that is one good lookin boat so far. can't wait to see more

15. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thats gunna be a sweet looking rig when your done.

16. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I think that looks awesome, great job. Thanks for showing us and keep us posted plz.

-Jim-

17. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    Very nice work!!!!!!!!!!

18. cathooked

cathooked New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Branden ya boat looks good,makes me want to sink my old ark,maybe when i hit the lottery ill git me one of those big jon boats lookin good man...

19. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    Branden ,the way that floor looks i might of wished i went that route

20. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Pix of the front storage area/mini casting deck that I'm working on. Between closing in the bow compartment that was already there and the space I've added, should be plenty of dry storage for whatever I need to take along:smile2: The top of the front casting deck will be covered in PVC/Nylon rough top conveyor belting. The belt is very non-skid, easy to clean, and should look nice as well once I get it cut and installed.

I'm kind of at a standstill at the moment since I just epoxied all the lids and trim for the back storage area doors late last night and I don't want to make a bunch of sawdust and mess while they're still curing (also, every flat surface in the garage has a piece that I just epoxied on it, so I don't really have anywhere to work till they cure :smile2:).

I've found a couple of places on line to get fiberglass cloth 60" wide by plenty long, so I'll get that ordered tomorrow so it will be here by next weekend when I get home from work (I'm in L.A. for the next 2 weeks for work). I also found a local place where I can get the aluminum angle I'm going to need for trim work for less than $100, so I'll get that ordered next week. If things go like I'm planning, I should have all the epoxy/laminating work done next weekend and the weekend after I can put in all my trim.

I've been stewing on a way to get the boat off of the trailer in the garage so I can get the outside painted and I think I've about got it figured out. If I can get that done, I'll be able to paint it and complete the mechanical work and wiring (install the console, put the motor back on, etc) by mid Feb. and be able to make it back on the water by mid-March when the bite starts to pick up.

Last pic is of my oldest boy sanding down some parts for me to get them ready to epoxy - I need to give him more credit, he did the final sand on the deck to get it ready to epoxy and is a pretty good holder and tool-bringer:wink:

Attached Files: