1984 envirude 150

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Gone fishin 4 kittys, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Grandpa had a 1984 envirude 150 the motor run great. But were lucky if we get 3/4 a mile to the gallon. I was wondering if this was normal and if there was anything we could do about it

Thanks
    Josh

2. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Man, that sounds familair....I get horrible gas mileage on my boat too

3. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    That slounds like it is wasting gas. Is there a oil slick behind the boat from leakage? Are you runing full throttle all the time? How big of boat is it pushing? I know I have a lot of ?'s. Just trying for anwers so the motor guys can help you out.

4. Gone fishin 4 kittys

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    It's a 19 and half foot boat deep V

When you mean an Oil slick do you mean like that shiny stuff, I can only tell when we are idling waiting to throw an anchor down.

we like to hammer down on the way to our fishing spot.

We also have on of those hydofoil. I here that it's suppose to add speed and use less gas. I don't know about speed but I think it does use less gas especially when you get on plane faster.

5. navigator

navigator New Member

State:
    NC- Brunswick County
    my hydrofoil is out of the water at WOT and full plane, I expect yours is too.

6. Gone fishin 4 kittys

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    No to at all even when the motor is all the way up theres a small section of the front of it in the water.

Josh

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Josh that motor will use about 15 gals of gas an hour when running at WOT. Now give me a little history on the maintance of that engine.
    What RPM's is it turning at WOT
    Do a compression ck and post the numbers.

Do a spark test and see if you have a good blue type lightening spark

When was the last time the plugs were changed.
    When was the last time the T-Stat was changed
    when was the last time the water pump was changed

Now these questions tie into the heavy use of fuel.

I would start with the basics. Compression ck
    Spark test.
    Do a decarb and change plugs and use a champion plug

Then water test for fuel useage.
    This is a long drawn out process to determine that the engine is performing up to par. Well worth the time and trouble.

8. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Josh, those engines run about a 60/40 ratio, meaning that they burn about 60 percent of the gas and waste 40. That's what 2 strokes do.

Do like Bubba asks and get the numbers and do the maintenance.

9. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    BobPaul and Bubbakat I get Bass and Walleye Boats magazine and consider it very useful.This latest issue has an editiorial about how all the "Old" technology engines ie pre EFI/DFI and oil injection engines are slowly disappearing and giving way to the newer stuff.I'm sure that is true in view of the more stringent environmental regs etc.One good point made however is that those older engines are rapidly being bought up by collectors with some models already becoming scarce.Just like old cars old boats particularly those old wooden Chris Crafts etc are very popular and eveidently so are the older matching outboards.Just like old fishing lures I guess.Seems anything old is now collectable and since I qualify I am waiting for some rich ,good looking women to "Collect" me.Might not even have to be good looking.:wink: :confused2: :tounge_out: :lol: :cool2:

10. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Yeah Jim, old is definately in.

If you find one that wants somebody aproaching antique status, tell her i'm nearly 60. I ain't cheap though, but I can be had.

11. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Yeah jim what paul said :lol: :lol: