1983 Tohatsu linkage problems

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by slimer1, Mar 31, 2008.

1. slimer1

slimer1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have an 83 Tohatsu M40D the motor runs good and shifts good but when you shift to reverse it stays at an idle. I have tried to adjust the linkage on the side of the motor and it will work decent for a while then goes back to where it was. It will get you rin trouble like this because you cant back away from anything if you have any speed up. Thanks for your help... Jeff

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    The cable may be bad. Have someone stand and look at it while shifting or you look at it while someone is shifting it.

3. slimer1

slimer1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks Bubbakat for the reply. I just put all new cables on it last year. It was the same before I changed them and after. It's almost like the reverse throttle wont go far enough to speed the motor up. Could it be something in the main control itself? There is free movement on the reverse side of it.

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Look at the control box and get me the name of it or model that it says it is.

5. slimer1

slimer1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    All it says on the box is, Tohatsu and remote control for tohatsu outboard motors. It also has tilt and trim switch on it. Thanks

6. slimer1

slimer1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Does anyone know who in missouri works on the tohatsu? I think I might have stumped Bubbakat

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    You haven't stumped me I just ain't had time to search through all the pictures for a exploded view of it to see what might be wrong. This is where a manuel comes in handy.

8. slimer1

slimer1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks Bubbakat, I know i'm stumped. I have looked at 2 different manuals and neither show a breakdown of the control box. Everything I have found in the manuals is hard to read and figure out also. I've alays been pretty good at reading electrical schematics but this one is a fuzz ball. I'm battleing an issue with the tach also, it quit working and now sometimes the backlight is on when it is just sitting there. Turning the key on and off will not shut it off but if you turn the motor over it goes off. My guess has been a bad ground but reading the schematic isn't easy... Thanks again for all your help....

9. Midwest Drifter

Midwest Drifter New Member

State:
    Kansas
    If it works for a while then goes back?? Check and make sure you have good threads on your linkage & nuts.