1983 Mercury 40 HP No Fire / Kill Switch

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by KSFish, Mar 30, 2009.

1. KSFish

KSFish New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Ok, here is the deal. I'm trying to get my boat running so my wife will not make me get rid of it! I need help! I have a 1983 Bass Tracker with a 40 HP Mercury. The problem started last year. I was motoring across the lake, nothing big and the motor just died. It was a slow die nothing all of the sudden. Well, i towed it back in and back home. Once home, I got it apart and put some new gas in it and it was all fixed. I had the water running to the lower unit with a garden hose and it idled nicely with no problems. I loaded it up and back to the lake. The motor would never fire once at the lake. Well, long story short, it sat all winter and I decided to give it another try tonight.

Tonight, my 8 year old and I went out, put some new gas in it, had a freshly charged battery, and gave it a shot. It fired right up. I put the water hose to the lower unit and it ran perfect. I wanted to test the safety kill switch on the controls so I flipped it down. The motor shut off like it should. After that, I could never get it to fire back up. I flipped the switch back and forth and no luck. What am I missing??? What is causing my motor to run sometimes and sometimes not. Is there something that is flakey about my kill switch?? Can I bypass it and see if the switch is bad??

Any help appreciated. Sorry for being long winded!!:roll_eyes:

2. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    That could be a few things, I had the same engine last year done the same thing and it had a bad coil, after it got warmed up good and you shut it down it would not fire until it was cooled back off, then it was like nothing was wrong, again until it would get warmed up and if you killed it you were waiting until it cooled off........ Not at all saying this is your problem, but was mine.

Maybe someone like Bub will toss you a bone, good luck

3. KSFish

KSFish New Member

State:
    Kansas
    That sounds promising. It makes sense. I mean, it did start good from being cold.

4. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I am not sure if the safety switch opens in ignition system or shorts
    it down. If the wires are color coded trace the wire from your switch
    back to your motor and unhook it. See if it will start. If that don't do
    it hook the wire back up and jumper the two wires on your switch
    together. Try to start it. If this doesn't solve it its not the switch.

5. KSFish

KSFish New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks for the info. I'll give it a shot.

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Unplug the plug big one at the motor to release the fireing control from the shifter box. Take a screw driver and short the solenoid out and try to start the motor if it starts without problem several times then it is either the kill switch or key switch. The kill switch has a single black wire going into it and one out. This allows the kill switch when engaged to ground the system out. You never want to wire those two wires together

7. KSFish

KSFish New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Well... I got it running. It ended up being the stator under the flywheel. It had an open circuit so there was fire everytime the magnets passed it. I found one on Ebay for around $90 which was $50 cheaper than anywhere else. Put it on tonight and it was fixed. Now, my only problem is it's not pumping water. I'm guessin my impellor on the water pump is shot!:crazy:

8. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Troy, it may be the pump, but as long as it set make sure a mud dauber wasp didn't build in the P hole or line, I had that happen once on my 25, it wasn't pumping so I ordered the parts and then found out a bug of some type built a home out of mud and it dried plugging the line up! :eek:oooh:

9. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I had them do that to my 20 hp also one year.