1983 Mercury 115 tach

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by dominoman, May 9, 2008.

1. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    On my new to me boat, it's an 83 115 hp Merc. The old tach is junk, now with the tach taken out of the console, I have no power what so ever, tilt trim, nothing. Does something have to be jumpered at the tach plug for this to work?

2. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    Found a blown fuse on the motor, everything works fine now

3. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    OK now for a not really problem, just aggravating. This 115 is a bear to start when it's cold, once it's run for a few minutes, it will fire right back up. Is this just Mercury?

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    some of those mercs are that way. What type of plug are you running in it.

5. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    Willard, I'll have to go look.

6. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    The plugs are NGK BUHW

7. Dan the Fisherman

Dan the Fisherman New Member

State:
    Ramsey, Illinois
    I have a 150 hp Mercury that seems to be slow starting when cold. The problem I have is getting the fuel lines full again. Once I get fuel in the carbs, the motor fires fairly good. I lose prime if the boat sits over 5 hrs. I haven't had the boat long enough to figure out its personality yet. My tanks have been replaced with plastic tanks with the siphoning bulb. I can turn the ignition key on before I start siphoning. I can hear a hum on the motor. I am assuming this hum is from an electric fuel pump. Once the bulb gets firm, I hold the choke and kick the starter in. I have cut down the start cranking by a bunch with this procedure. I'm not a mechanic. Maybe someone can explain the details of the procedure I just described. I am still learning about outboards.

8. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill

That year and size engine was built with the champion plug in mind for it and it was a l78v or a l76v which was a surface gap plug but was found out latter that it performed better with a ngk equivlent plug so it that plug cross matches the champion then you should be good to go on that.
    One other thing I would suggest to do is check the choke shutter and make sure it is closing all the way to be working properly.