1983 Evinrude 90hp lower unit

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by PHLIPS4BIGKATS, Jan 15, 2009.

1. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    My friend has a 1983 Evinrude 90hp that has crack in it. We plan on taking the unit appart so I can weld it up. I was wondering if anyone has a print on this lower unit or has tackled one like this before. Plus what parts will be needed? Where can they be purchased? Any pics. prints or help would be great.

Thanks,
    Chris

2. larry d. grady

larry d. grady Member

State:
    north caro
    that engine is real popular,and it is not hard to find a hole engine with a blown power head most of the v-4 johnson /evenrudes in the 1980's from 85 h.p. to 135 h.p. had the same lower unit housings just different gear ratio's.i saw 7 or 8 just the other day on craigs list, in the north carolina .but you can get an engine thats blown up cheaper than you can get alower unit for and have alot of spare parts.email me your serial number and model number.and wher you live and i will try and find you one.ldgrady@yahoo.com

3. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Here they are Larry.

Model# E90TLCRO

Serial# J0407790

4. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    www.shop.evinrude.com

It will most likely have the schematics for the entire lower unit blown up and easy to look at. When it loads click on "parts", and the rest is easy.

5. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Shoot me your email address and I will scan the lower unit section from my shop manual (1980 75hp 'rude) and send it to you. Should be pretty close to what you have. It's not the Clymer or Seloc book but the actual Evinrude manual.

If you caught it before you tore anything up or ran it out of oil the only things you should need are a seal kit and a water pump kit. The water pump kit isn't mandatory, but if you've got it tore down you might as well replace it.

Also on those lower units (I overhauled mine year before last) there are two BIG snap rings in the housing. They are used for spacers, basically. I bought a pair of loooong (12" or so) needle nose pliers and ground the tips down to use for snap ring pliers. Not the safest thing, but they worked well. That was the most difficult part of the whole thing. If it's a new casing you'll want to pay attention to setting the gear lash on the pinion gear correctly as well.

Good luck!

Branden