1983 - 9.9 Johnson Water Pump

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by mikey823, Nov 16, 2009.

1. mikey823

mikey823 Member

State:
    Illinois
    How hard is it to change the water pump? I don`t want to take it to a dealer because I don`t want to have pay an arm and a leg.
    I can buy a water pump kit on e-bay for a reasonable price and I am thinking I can do it myself. I have never worked on a boat motor but I am mechanically inclined.
    If anybody can give me a pointer or two, I would appreciate it.

:confused2:

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Take off the small side panel in the mid section/right side. That's where you'll find the shift shaft coupler. Move your shift shaft lever and you'll see the coupler move up and down.

Remove the bottom bolt of the coupler, then proceed to remove the lower unit from the mid section.

You'll find all you need on top of the lower unit. The drive shaft gose up through the middle of the water pump.

See how much you can get done, then call back if you get hung up.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Before you pay an arm and leg for the water pump kit on e-bay, check with you local auto parts stores. They have marine catalogs and normally offer one day service on marine parts. You'll probably pay close to the same (if not actually cheaper) from the auto parts store, but you don't have to pay the shipping and handling either. In a lot of ways, e-bay is a rip off.

4. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    go for it bro. if you are mechanically inclined its a breeze.

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    this is what you will see

Attached Files:

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    This is the serria parts numbers and can be had at any Napa or o'riellieys parts store.

I recommend the whole pump if you don't want to go that way then go with at least the wear plate and new impeller.

18-3050 Impeller
    18- 3178 Wear plate
    18- 3400 I think is the repair kit
    18-3327 is the cup.
    18- 3180 is the whole kit

Any good counter person can look these up on the computer and confirm them as what they should be.

7. mikey823

mikey823 Member

State:
    Illinois
    I want to thank everybody that replied to my post. I feel a lot better now about tackling this job. I was going into this job in the dark but after your helpful information and pictures, I know I will be fine now.

Thanks Again

:big_smile::big_smile:

8. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Stay in touch. I thought you left town:wink:

The hardest part will be lining up the water tube, shift shaft and the drive shaft spline, all at the same time:smile2:

It's easier than it sounds.

9. mikey823

mikey823 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hello again, I haven`t left town--Just working 6 days a week. I am a repairman in a coal mine. This little job is going to be one of my winter projects. I have not started this job yet, the motor is not down, just wanted to do a little preventative maintenance on it. I have had this motor since it was new and nothing has ever been done to it except new spark plugs and lower gear lube every year.
    Thanks

:big_smile:
    :big_smile:

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  10. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Mike if you pull wrenches in a coal mine then you earn your money and this will be a easy one for you.

Do you work underground or strip pits?

11. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    yep my granddad was a coal miner in va. if you can handle that a water pump is just play time.let us know how it turns out;

12. Trapper-steve

Trapper-steve New Member

State:
    Bicknell, IN
    I have had this motor since it was new and nothing has ever been done to it except new spark plugs and lower gear lube every year.
    Thanks
    [/QUOTE]

No new impeller since new :crazy: can you say running on borrowed time?:eek:oooh:

13. mikey823

mikey823 Member

State:
    Illinois
    I know I am on borrowed time, but I always keep an eye on it and make sure it is peeing good. I will be getting the parts on Monday so I can get this project behind me.
    I don`t know how often the water pump is suppose to be changed on a boat motor. I have been told several different opinions by different people that you should change them every year, to every 5 years and about 3 months ago I had an X-Johnson Dealer tell me that it shouldn`t be bad yet.
    Maybe someone knows the answer to this question, what ever it is I am going to change it.

14. mikey823

mikey823 Member

State:
    Illinois
    BubbaKat--I work at an underground Mine, I worked about 7 years on the surface back in the early 80`s, I have been underground for the last 23 years turning wrenches.

15. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I gots lots of respect for you under ground workers. We use to have some big minning sites both top side and under ground but the have been almost depleted in the last 10 years. I have seen some awsome stuff around these mines.