1982 evinrude 4hp

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by silver perch, Jun 2, 2008.

1. silver perch

silver perch New Member

State:
    NSW
    hi, can you help
    i just picked up a evinrude 4hp, model E4BRCNR serial No: A375977.
    i put it in a tank and got it going but there are no decals on the engine to tell me what the knobs are for. the choke is pretty obvious pull out to close the butterfly valve. why the twist action on the choke knob? the knob beside it .. is it a fine tuning air screw for the mixture?
    one other thing, there doesn't seem to be a peehole. there are several vertical holes half way up the leg.. does the water and exhaust expell out of there? the motor doesn't seem to run too hot but i didn't want to run it for long.
    thanks
    bob

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If you don't know the history of the motor I would change the impeller out if not the whole water pump. Better safe the sorry. I don't have any idea why the choke would roetate like that but as for the other knob its to adjust the low speed fuel mix as it should have fixed high speed jet. You need to set the mixture screw with the motor in the water under a load and once its set there should be no reason to move it. The fuel mix should be 50:1 and no it doesn't have a pee hole it exhaust the water through the exhause relief ports at about midway of the leg and most likely through the prop.

3. silver perch

silver perch New Member

State:
    NSW
    Thanks a lot Willard, I will take your advice and replace the impellar/ pump as i don't know the history.
    Bob