1981 Ford F-100 P/UP Problems

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by canepole, Aug 27, 2005.

1. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    Well I'm back to work on the old truck. I am trying to replace the kingpin bushings, And they are turning into a pain in the b/hind, I got the bolt out that holds the kingpin in place after heating it and beating it to a poke, Now I can't get the kingpin out, But I hav'nt thrown in the towel yet, If any of you all know any tricks please share them.,and thanks in advance

2. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    Yodaddy, I called advance auto and they got the PB Blaster, I'll get some of it and spray her real good and let it set all nite. Thanks for the help,

3. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    YoDaddy, That stuff smells like its pretty strong, I just got back from the movies and sprayed some on and moved the spindle and sprayed her some more, I'm going to let it soak and tomorrow morning its coming outta there.,Thanks again for the help,

4. akwolf41

akwolf41 Master Instigator of the BOC!

State:
    Kenai, Ala
    Tom:

I have replaced a bunch of those Damned King pins over the years at my work. All of the advice you had had so far is good. The only thing I would add is when you get ready to drive them out, support the I beams with a block so all the weight is resting on the block and use a punch just a tad smaller than the king pin and use a BIG HAMMER and let it have it. They will come out for damned sure. Then you can remove the old Bushings and clean up real good and put the new busings in. Lube them up good and the new Pins go in pretty easy. make sure they are turned right so when you get them in position, the wedge bolts will easily go in.

Give em Hell Bubba:

Gene

5. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    Thanks for the good advice Gene, I got the beam resting on a block. And beat on that thing with a brass drift for about a hour, I got it soaking with the stuff that Yodaddy recommended and I'm going to pour the heat to it in the morning and see if I can get her done, I replaced them one time before on a old 53 ford f-100 and they wasn't no problem this 81 has been a pain in the butt.
    Gene are you going to try and make the Memphis Gathering if all goes well I plan to be there. and I hope to see you there,

6. akwolf41

State:
    Kenai, Ala
    Tom:

Don't use a Brash Drift Punch. Use a Steel punch. The Brass has to much give to the blow.

No I am not planning on the Memphis Gathering. I am saving up for the Pickwick Gathering. My Favorite.

Gene

7. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    I'll see if I can find a big bolt and give it a try, Thanks again for the help

8. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    Well I found a big bolt and got the torches out and heated and beat that pin for almost a hour and it has'nt moved a bit, I sprayed some more blaster on it and I fiqure I will try her again when I get back from the eye doctor this afternoon. its going to take some patience and a bunch of pounding but it will come loose. "I HOPE" :crying:

9. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    I beat on it for about two and a half hour's and to the best of knowledge it hasn't moved a bit. I have thrown in the towel for the day, I got to go to work in the morning and got to get up pretty early so it will have to wait till next weekend, I may have to put a jack or something under the kingpin and let the weight of the truck sit on it then pound it, I've been trying to pound it downward, Man what a job and pain in the butt. hahahah
    You all have a good week.

10. akwolf41

State:
    Kenai, Ala
    Tom:

Do you have an air compressor?? If you do you may be able to borrow or rent an Air Hammer.(see Attachments) We used to use them a lot when we had one that was a real Pain to get out. Now if you gan get someone to hold the punch with a pair if Vicegrips use a sledge hammer on that sucker.

Just a couple of more ideas. Sounds like you have a real dandy. LOL

Gene

Attached Files:

11. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Tom,

The air compressor and air hammer are the best bet. The air hammer creates vibration, and thats what you will need to break the rust loose and drive the king pin out...

Changing frozen king pins out is no easy job...good luck..

12. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    A friend of mine told me saturday that he had a impact chessel that I could use, I didn't know they had the type of bit you showed in the picture Gene, I may have to get his next weekend and give her a try.

13. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    gene and bud got it right, canepole. the air hammer always works. i have changed out a bunch of those dudes, and the stubborn ones take heat and an air hammer. if you have access to a rosebud tip for the torch heat that dude up , then lay on the kingpin with the air hammer. some of thse pins can be a real doozy to get out, and it sounds like you have one of them. good luck

14. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    beat me to it spray em up good and let em soak use a air hammer with the proper bit drive em out

15. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Tom,

Did you ever get those King pins out? They are a major job for sure...

16. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    Thanks for asking Bud, I beat them and beat em and was about to start tearing the whole front end out and then I got to thanking about what I was going to be using the old truck for basicly just pulling my boat about five miles to the river and back and said the heck with the kingpins and put it back together, That PB Blaster loosened them up and they are taking greese now and the truck drives like a new one, Thanks guy's for all the help and encouragement,.....

17. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    now thats the cure, canepole - glad to hear it works for you :D

18. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Tom,

I reckon that if they are taking grease now, and are free, they should be fine no further than you plan on driving..

Did you try the air hammer on them? I can't believe they didn't come out if you did..

19. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    No, But I agree with you it probably would have brought it out.

20. jbird

jbird New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i work at an alignment shop and have changed alot of king pins . the best way i ever found was with everything u tried but mainly with just two people a set of torches a sledge hammer and another smaller king pin for a punch . but hey if u put it back together and all u do is drive 5 miles i wouldnt worry about it either .