1979 Baretta Trihull

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by SSgt Fishslayer, Mar 14, 2008.

1. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Here is my new toy. 1979 Baretta Trihull, 70 horsepower Evinrude motor. she isnt to pretty, but the motor runs good and she was cheap. i have alot of stuff i am going to do to her, just have to get all of the stuff for it. i have a trolling motor that should be coming in on monday, now i need to get a bilge pump, fire extinguisher, put some more foam in it, get my dpeth finder, replace the floor and paint it. does anyone know if they make a keel shield for this type of boat? jsut curious. if anyone has any tips, please feel free to share them. i took the casting desk out last night and ripped off a bunch of the stuff i dont want in it. the cup holder area was ripped out as well as some other things. i will post more pics tonight to show you more of what i am working with.

Attached Files:

2. SSgt Fishslayer

State:
    south carolina
    a couple more pics of it. i picked it up from the boat shop yeaterday. they ran a compression test, spark check, replaced the impellar and changed the gear oil. they said it ran great. they actually said that they havent seen one that old run so well in a long time.

Attached Files:

3. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    She's a beaut Joey. Have fun with 'er, and keep us updated!

4. SSgt Fishslayer

State:
    south carolina
    just did up a small plan of everything i want. going to cost around 700 bucks, which isnt to bad i guess. i will keep the pictures coming as i go along with it.

5. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    looks like u have a nice platform to work with, just build her the way it suits u & go fishing!!!!

6. SSgt Fishslayer

State:
    south carolina
    got a question for you guys, any input would be great. i need to replace my decking in the trihull. its spongy and dry rotted. i was wondering if anyone had ever tried to use aluminum stringers (such as aluminum home studs) and if anyone had any info on this. i am thinking they will last longer, they are lighter, and stronger, and wont rot. i know i am missing something, cause it cant be that easy. if it were why wouldnt any one else be doing it. any help would be great.

7. SSgt Fishslayer

State:
    south carolina
    ok so i started ripping he decking out of the bottom of the boat last night. boy what a mess that is. apparently the person who put in the foam last time didnt really know what they were doing. mos of the foam was still good, but it didnt fill in very well. also whoever put in this decking didnt do such a good job either. at the front of the boat there is a drain going through the fiberglass decking into the hull for water to drain off of the floor into the hull. well the idiot didnt put a hole in the cross member so the water collected in the hull and rotted the wood pretty bad, instead of draining into the back of the boat. the only thing holding the flooring in was the fiber glass. plus they didnt seal the underside of the decking so it was able to rot. so this weekend i am going to finish ripping up the decking and tear out the foam so that i can replace the stringers and hopfulley start replacing the stringers. the rotten wood does make it a little easier to get out though. i must have sucked over a gallon of water out of the bottom of the boat. i will try and post some pics after i get the decking ripped up and get the foam out.

8. jdbuckshot

jdbuckshot New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Make sure you go back with closed cell foam, it will not soak up any water!

9. SSgt Fishslayer

State:
    south carolina
    so it has taken me a while, but i finally went and got some lumber and ripped out all of the old rotted stringers, foam, and am getting the boat prepped to lay in the new decking. i am running 2x6 stringers with a cut down 2x8 for a cross member. i have to glass the stringer and cross members in and after that i will start to pour some foam. i should have foam poured by this weekend and then i can glass in the plywood decking and hopefully lay down some carpeting. shouldnt take more than a couple more weeks. i am also going to run a piece of flat bar across the back of the boat for rod holders. i wil post some pics as asoon as i get them.

10. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    Well hurry up already. It's only been 9 months....lol:smile2:

11. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN

Sounds like you are making some good progress, congrats brother and good luck fishing

12. SSgt Fishslayer

State:
    south carolina
    yeah tell me about it. maybe i will be able to get a couple months fishing out of it before something else comes up.

13. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    Sounds like you got a nice you'll project going. Good luck with it.

14. SSgt Fishslayer

State:
    south carolina
    well i have the stringers ready to be glassed in. going to do that today. need to go and get some more glass matting and resin first. as soon as i get them glassed in and it sets up i am going to start pouring foam the first of next week. here are some pics of the stringers. i didnt want to deal with the plywood stringers so i made mine out of 8 ft 2x6's. they are strong as he!! and i dont think i will have any problems out of them. let me know what you think.

Attached Files:

• 013.JPG
      013.JPG
      File size:
      105.4 KB
      Views:
    • 016.JPG
      016.JPG
      File size:
      120.3 KB
      Views:
    • 014.JPG
      014.JPG
      File size:
      107.5 KB
      Views:
  15. SSgt Fishslayer

State:
    south carolina
    well i got the stringers glassed in. didnt take too long but it took a good bit of resin. but its worth it. i will probably start pouring foam tommorrow or early next week. i will post more pics of how the foam pour goes.

16. SSgt Fishslayer

State:
    south carolina
    started pouring #4 foam tonight. that stuff is messy as anything i have ever used. but it is worth it. it is solid as a freaking rock. i also started putting the fiber glass resin on the plywood for the floor so it will be ready to turn over and resin the other side tommorow. the end is in sight now boy. come friday when the taxes come in i am getting the driftmasters that stumpjumper is selling and also might pick up the lowranc he has for sale. also going to get some of the tuff coat for the floor and 3 more seats to make a 4 seater in the back. so hopefully by the time the water starts hitting the perfect temp the boat will be ready to rock and roll. i will post pictures soon .

17. SSgt Fishslayer

State:
    south carolina
    well i got the foam poured and the plywood layed in. got it screwed down to the stringers and then glassed it in. it looks pretty good and is solid as a rock. i ordered some Ultra Tuff Marine yesterday in light gray for the floor. should be here at the end of this week. hopefully that shows up about the same time the rod holders and the depth finder shows up. i also got the sump pump installed in-case i start taking on water. i will take some pictures tonight and post them on here to show you guys what i am talking about.

18. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
  19. SSgt Fishslayer

State:
    south carolina
    i will take some tonight and post them up.

20. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Very Nice ...best get to werk summers comming fast and well.....:roll_eyes: