1979 75hp Evinrude Dying

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by SSgt Fishslayer, Apr 2, 2009.

1. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    took the boat out for the first water test. she floats and doesnt take on any water. but the motor keeps bogging down and then it will die. i was wondering if this is because it is starving itself for fuel. it will run for about 2 minutes at full throttle and then bog down and die. i know the motor is good because they tested it and ran it when i had it serviced. i am thinking that i need to replace the fuel line (to include the primer bulb, quick disconnects, and tank adapter) but before i do this i was wondering if you could think of anything else it could be. the carbs are clean and the plugs are good. does this make any sense. after it dies it is a real pain to get it back running.

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Sounds like it is burning the fuel in the carb bowl and when that is exahusted, it dies. You say the carb is clean, and it may well be; however, 90% of your problems will normally be found in the carbs. I would also look at your fuel pump as it may have a brittle diagphram which does not allow a continous supply of fuel. It would probably cost about six dollars to replace all you fuel hoses, which is not going to hurt either. You may check the carbs for just a little gunk which would keep the valves from seating or opening. It definetly is a fuel related problem. I'd stake Bubba Kats truck on it. LOL

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Could also try to clean the carbs by running some sea foam thru your gas. Seems to help out my motor

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Like lawerance said it most likely is a fuel supply problem. I would start at the fuel tank pick up line, The one inside the fuel tank, and replace all the fuel lines and add a water fuel seperaton on it while doing it and go all the way to the carbs and then retry. Don't never assume that a fuel line is still good from the out side looks. If its at least 2 years old replace it.
    When your engine shuts down is the bulb still tight or is it soft. also the fuel pump will act the same way.

5. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    thanks for all of the help guys. i was thinking i need to replace all of the fuel line components anyway. and to answer you question bubakat, the fuel bulb is not real firm but not exactly soft either. i know i need a new one of those. i will tear down the carbs and clean em up and replace all of the fuel line and components and give her another try.