1977 ranger boat - Been sitting for 5 years, need some advice on what to do?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by poopdeck [patrick], Oct 8, 2007.

1. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    i just bought a 1977 ranger with a 115. I am old and have never owed a boat in my life so i need some help. The boat seems to be in fairly good shape, I got it for 400 dollars so it needs some work. It has been sitting for a bout 5 years. Will the Carbs be alright? How about the motor itself? will i have to rebuild it? Is there a manual I can buy for a 1977, 17ft ranger boat?

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Those carbs will have to be soaked and rebuilt. Do a compression test and it thats good then the engine should be okay as for the rebuild on the engine its self. Replace all the fuel lines from the tank to the carbs and clean the fuel tank real good also. Install new spark plugs and new water pump. Change the lower unit oil out and install new gaskets for the fill and drain screws.
    As for a manuel for the boat itself that may be obtained on e-bay but as for a manuel for the motor just post the model number and I post you a link to the manuel you will need.
    Also pull that prop off and check behind it for rope or fishing line and grease the prop shaft and reinstall the prop.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    You have just heard from the most authoritative voice on the BOC in regards to your boating questions. LOL. You may want to also check the floor of the boat for soft spots. Rot is the worst enemy the boat can have. If it is at that state, there is quite a bit of work necessary to restore the boat. If you have good compression on the motor, you have made a very good buy.

4. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    Thanks guys. I will put that information to good use. I found me a real good book on it that my brother in law had.

5. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    GOOD LUCK ON YOUR BOAT.....I HOPE YOUR LUCKY AND THEY GIVE IT TO YOU:wink: