1977 Johnson 35hp Air Silencer

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by jkirkpatrick, May 8, 2007.

1. jkirkpatrick

jkirkpatrick New Member

I have had the above engine for several years and other than routine maint. has given me very few problems. It dawned on me awhile back that this motor does not have an air silencer on it. I am wondering if it is worth the money to purchase one and install it. Does the air silencer actually do anything except cut down on noise? Will I have to readjust the idle setting after installation? Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Jeff

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Some engines, like your 35 were built without an atenuator cover/silencer. Many 25hp engines don't have them. If yours was designed to have one, it wouldn't hurt or help to run with it. Like you said, they just cut down on noise.

There were some large engines that needed the cover on to run right. They had the same effect as being choked/retricting air.

Yours would need no adjustment.

3. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    patrick , i can tell u one thing about that 77 , 35hp .......... when the foam on the under side of the engine cover starts to fall apart, u gonna wish u had something covering that carb ........................ screen wire will work fine .............................