1977 75hp Johnson

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Muddy96, Mar 25, 2007.

1. Muddy96

Muddy96 New Member

State:
    Winfield, Ks
    I am in need of a new starter. Are there any places that may be cheaper to purchase from than the others. Also, what spark plugs does this engine use. The seloc manual does not specify. Thanks alot. Muddy

2. Jesse168

Jesse168 Member

State:
    Memphis, Tennessee
    Jerry have you considered having your starter rebuilt ? Sometimes it's cheeper to have the starter rebuilt than buy a new starter....then other times new is not available or reasonably priced.

If you can't find a rebuilder in your area we have a great one that does rebuild for the outboard shops in our area (Memphis, Tennessee).

Jesse

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Jerry use QL77JC4 champion plugs in that engine and gap them at 40.

As for the starter I have a good used one I do think and if you can get yours rebuilt you would be better off. I would check all connections and make sure the battery ain't at fault before I changed that starter out.

4. Muddy96

Muddy96 New Member

State:
    Winfield, Ks
    I took mine apart to check the brushes. One of them was worn so badly it was broken off from the post. The remaining part of the brush got down in the other portion of the starter and scared it a bit. In addition, the armature seems entirly to loose fitting. I figure it has been rebuilt before and just needs replaced this time. I found on on ebay that says it was just rebuilt, but I am not sure if it is the right one. If you have one, what do you want for it. Thanks a ton. Muddy

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Jerry send me a picture of the one you have with the mounting bracket also and I am sure the one I have will work and if it will You can get it a whole lot cheaper from me then e-bay and I won't lie to yea.

Matter of a fact if it will work I'll send it to you and if it works to your satsafaction then we can exchange the money but we will work that out as we check it out.
    I would say you are right on it being reworked at one time or another.

6. Muddy96

Muddy96 New Member

State:
    Winfield, Ks
    I will send you a couple pictures. I may be a couple days before I get them sent. I appreciate the offer.