1975 Toyota Landcruiser FJ40

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by TNVOLCAT, Jul 31, 2008.

1. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I had one of these a few years back that I restored, sold it when my wife got pregnant and have wanted another one since then. Well, I got me another one recently and looking forward to going to work on it. Just wondering if any of you have one or have ever had one in the past would share some stories about yours. I'll post some pics later, beware it's ugly right now!

2. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I don't have one, but I'm jealous from here. Coolness!

My doc has one that is cherry. Easy, I guess, if you got the bucks.:smile2:

3. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Brandon that is one of the coolest 4X4s ever made in my opinion. Cant wait to see the pictures. Who cares if it is ugly. It has the cool factor. Good luck on the rebuild.

Tom

4. Vulture

Vulture New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    I have a 77 FJ40, aka the money pit. I love that thing, I grew up with them and couldn't wait to get one of my own. Mine is pretty much stock except the ol man emo lift kit and larger tires. I did have mine converted to EFI and got rid of the carburetor. Runs great except it's hot to drive in the summer. Get a lot of engine heat from the floor board. I was thinking of getting a soft top for the summer and some half doors. Check I8hatemud.com for cruiser info. Great web site for tips and ideas. Every time I do I feel like adding or changing my 40 around.

5. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Greg, mine has a factory spring over lift w/ Rancho shocks and running 35" BFG mudders. Also has the 350 chevy swap, "CHEVOTA", adapted to the factory trans. and tran. case, also power steering and front disc brakes. Also has full custom roll cage. I acquired the beast without top or doors, but have already found and bought a top and doors in super shape since the purchase. It has a bikini top on it right now. I've also got some soft-half doors and a "CON-FERR" rear tube bumper with receiver hitch coming that I won off Ebay. For now, I'm planning to paint it O.D. green all over and add a warn winch at some point. Also fixing to get a set of block hugger headers with new exhaust to go with a set of "Flowmaster" mufflers I've got laying around. That's about it. I'll try to get some before pics up tomorrow night.

6. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <
    [​IMG]
    I have a 77 FJ40, aka the money pit.>

I had one. Straight six engine. About 10 miles per gallon, and parts came on a slow boat from Japan. Cool truck otherwise, though.
    BB in SC

7. Vulture

Vulture New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    TNVOLCAT did you get a chance to check out ih8mud.com? There is a paint section. A bunch of guys are painting their 40's with Rust-O-Leum paint. Its a 50/50 mix with mineral spirits. The whole paint job should cost about $50 bucks but no more than 100 if you buy more sand paper. I did my top the same way. Now I'm doing a replacement windshield frame. When I get the chance I'll be pulling the top half of my cruiser and paint the body. I'm looking to buy a full cage roll bar next.
    I like the sound of your cruiser. I see nothing but good times ahead.

8. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Greg, yes I did, lots of good info there. Actually, there is a local chapter of the "Toyota Land Cruiser Association" near where I live. I've been to one of their meetings, pretty hardcore cruiserheads. As for paint, I'm going with O.D. Green w/ white top and grill surround like factory. My Dad is an "old school" paint and body man by trade, so he's set up for the job. I found a great deal on od green paint by the quart at a local "dollar store" and he's got primer, tape and sandpaper. I've just got to buy the paint. Shooting for middle of October to have it done.

9. Vulture

Vulture New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Sounds like a good deal I wish I had someone to paint my 40. PM me some pics when it's done.

10. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well, my Bestop soft half doors came in and installed them today. Also installed the Bestop bikini top. Ready to cruise now! Sorry, late getting pics up. I'll get my wife to help me with that tomorrow.