Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

1975 9.9 Evinrude Wont start now.

7K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  cfishman 
#1 ·
I have a 75 9.9 Evinrude long shaft. I brought it out yesterday and started it up with no problems, started on 4th pull. Shut it off with kill switch.
I ran in it in a clean trash can ful of water, was water sputering out of pee hole.
Came back approx 4 hrs later to re-start, will not start. Replaced fuel, checked fule lines for blockage, pulled off carb-clean as a whistle, checked spark - lower cylinder only - but should at least fire.
I am at a loss right now - dont want to spend big bucks at repair shop on old motor.
Any suggestions?

#4 ·
I was wondering too about the kill switch, if the kill switch is stuck it shouldn't spark. Right?? Pushing the kill switch was the last thing I did to it when it was running. Maybe Ill try to bypass the kill switch to see what happens.

This motor is on my 22' sailboat. I changed the name of the boat without the tradition. It could be that the boat is mad at me. Was planning this engine to serve on my jonboat, has a 20" transom and the longshaft is what it needs.

#5 ·
Check the wires going to the kill switch. I have seen a lot of them that the insolation on the wires going to the kill switch have peeled off and shorted.
That motor has a coil for each cylinder. I would check the points first if it's not firing. The points should be set at .020 . Look for cracks in the insolation on the coils. You have to remove the flywheel to check points and coils.

Jesse

#7 ·
Yep, my girlfriend warned me about changing the name without the "ceremony".

I went out and the best I can figure is that I do have a fouled plug, as I switch the plugs around to see if it will spark when I pull the rope.
Will be checking the kill switch too. Question remains - will it spark if the kill switch is engaged?

#9 ·
Yep, my girlfriend warned me about changing the name without the "ceremony".

I went out and the best I can figure is that I do have a fouled plug, as I switch the plugs around to see if it will spark when I pull the rope.
Will be checking the kill switch too. Question remains - will it spark if the kill switch is engaged?
no it shouldnt if the switch is engaged (making contact)
if your getting a spark make sure your fuel line is pumping fuel
pull cowl off and raise the motor and pump your bulb up good and tight and see if fuel comes out of the carb throat.

#11 ·
I have pumped the bulb and it is getting fuel to the carb.
Will put new plugs in on Tuesday.
i have a little smallengine spark tester that is better than useing a screwdriver to ck your spark but it should be a nice strong blue spark not a weak orange or red . coil could be at fault if spark is weak check both cylinders
test tool should be fairly inexpensive .
good luck !!!!!!!

#19 ·
I will go find the champion plugs, maybe use the NGK's as spares to keep on the boat.
When I took the carb off, took the bowl off it, it was clean as a whistle - gaskets are new looking. Thinking that this carb had a rebuild in the last year. The motor overall is very clean, i think someone has taken good care of it.
This forum is great!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.