1974 Mercury 200 20 hp

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by ooks, Aug 30, 2009.

1. ooks

ooks New Member

State:
    Dunkirk IN
    My motor seems to be getting to much fuel. Any ideas where to start looking for this problem would be a big help. thanks Earl

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I would clean and rebuild the carbs. Those engines had drop bowl carbs and were real finicky about clean fuel. After you get that done install you a fuel water separator.

To try to see if its clogged up or just tarnished some what I would mix about a half can of sea foam in a gal of gas and run that through it and see if that helps if not then time to rebuild the carbs.

3. ooks

ooks New Member

State:
    Dunkirk IN
    Thanks for the reply Bubba I will try that. Earl

4. Quackshutr

Quackshutr New Member

State:
    Oklahoma, Collinsville
    Hey Ooks,
    When mine did that it was due to using gas that had ethanol in it and it caused the compressed foam float to swell up and wouldn't let it shut the needle/seat off.

But I agree with Bubbakat, clean your carb up good and see how things go from there.

Q

5. Longjohn119

Longjohn119 Well-Known Member

State:
    Iowa
    If it's still the original compressed foam replace it regardless, they get brittle and little pieces fall off and plug the seat, they get fuel-logged and heavy and don't have enough buoyancy to work right even though they still float and as noted can swell up

The new one will be plastic and should last the rest of the life of the motor, play attention to the directions (Actually a picture with some numbers) because the float height is different since the plastic is more buoyant .... A lot of people set it like the old float (Or like the manual says) and then complain about finicky Mercury floats when it doesn't work right

I don't work on these for a living, I just happen to own one ('76) and compared to my 15 HP Force it seems to be underrated in HP and pushes my little 14ft flat bottom pretty dang good