1974 70HP Evinrude Prop

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by miichael, Feb 18, 2007.

1. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I currently have a 14" with 16 pitch and it looks rough and chipped pretty bad. its not cutting water very well at all. I want to keep the size and pitch the same because it seems to run good with it but i cant find a 14" 16 pitch anywhere? The motor turns about 5400-5500 rpm with the prop now so i dont want to change the size if i can help it. what would be my best choice? here's what i found as far as sizes goes.

14" 17 pitch
    13-1/4" 17 pitch
    13-3/4" 15 pitch

Which would you recommend me getting? I'm thinking if i get a new propeller that's cutting water good it may tach more than 5400-5500 so i could go with the 14" 17 pitch but i dont want to loose a lot of rpms with increasing the pitch. But if i go with a 15 pitch plus dropping the diameter of the prop I'm scared it will be too high rpms. I was thinking if i did go with the 14" 17pitch it would only loose about 200rpm so that would put me at around 5380-5480 which still should be a good range. plus it may gain a few mph faster? or maybe i should go with 13-1/4" 17 pitch?
    it is a 1974 evinrude 70hp model 70473-M

also on the prop it is a standard rotation correct?

2. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    heres a few pics of the prop on it now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Looks like a good prop to me. Might dress it slightly with a file, but I don't think I'd worry about it at this point unless there is vibration in the motor.

4. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    prop doesnt look too damaged to dress up with a file as long as you dont get a vibration from balancing you should be fine with the prop you have,if not the 14 17 pitch wont change the rpms that much

5. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    i figured it chipped like it was it wouldn't be cutting water very well. i dont care about speed and if it looks fine to you guys ill just leave it on there! it has no vibration.

6. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    It looks like there is a crack in one of the blades, if I were you I would just get the 17P, you would only lose at the max 100rpm but it would move you just about the same speed or maybe a little faster. Looks to me like the blade could crack a lot further, or even break off, then you would really have a vibration.

7. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Should i go with the 13 1/4 X 17 instead of the 14 x 17? smaller diameter may be about the same as my 14 x 16?

8. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I would just stick to the same diameter and go with one more inch of pitch.

9. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Michael I would go with the 14x17 and have it cupped slightly. If you loose a little on the hole shot let me know and I'll send you directions with the drawings showing locations for drilling holes in the trailing hub to make the hole shot better.

This idea came out by OMC to give those bass boats those talked about hole shots.

10. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    what about the 13 1/4 x 17? there's only 1 manufacturer that carries the 14x17. would it make any diffrence?

11. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Call this outfit, they make there own props///// no middleman. They are in Monroe, Georgia 30655 1 770 267 9425. They make and sell stainless props the cheapest. I have had one of theres on my boat for 7 years, same prop, just dress the edges every spring.

They might make the absolute one you want. It's only a phone call to find out.

12. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Michael use that one and have it cupped a little and if the RPM'S are a little high then take it back and have it cupped a little more.