1974 70HP Evinrude Died

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by miichael, Aug 4, 2006.

1. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I have a 1974 Evinrude 70hp and i was out last night fishing i was idling along slow about 6-8mph at dark and it just died like i cut the switch off. I thought well maybe it ran out of gas so i check the tank still had gas. I pumped the bulb a few times it was tight. Tried and tried and tried to get it to crank back nothing. We ended up having to troll about 2 miles back to the dock which took us about 3 hours. Got it home parked it till today and check the plugs on my lawn mower to see if they was firing. They fired perfect on it. I unhooked the gas line and turned the engine over with spark plugs out thinking may just have flooded and left gas line unhooked and sprayed starting fluid in all 3 cylinders and turned it over with nothing. All 3 cylinders wont fire I'm assuming, i cant get back there to check them with a spark plug by myself but i know when my coil died on #2 it still ran just missed. Where do i need to start with no fire at all? I have a repair manual on it but doesnt really have a trouble shooting guide in it.

2. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Michael,
    Sounds like your power pack may have given up on you. I don't know exactly how to check it, but I bet Bobpaul or Bubba can tell you. Are you sure it's not firing?

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    If you can rig a starter button to your starter solenoid, you can test this yourself.

No fire to all 3 cyl's is a power pack problem or stator, or kill switch.

Disconnect the kill switch in the engine wiring harness, black wire with a yellow tracer stripe. Try to fire it again. If it fires up then you found the problem, if not, then you need to test voltage to your coils from the power pack. Those are the orange wires at each coil..

You'll need a peak reading volt meter for this.

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Michael quit useing that starting fluid on that 2 stroke before you make it have a stroke.

5. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Where is the kill switch at? i cant find it.

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Its in the key switch but look on the terminal junction bar and it should be there. Black with a yellow tracer. Like Bobpaul said.

7. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Ok i still couldnt find the kill switch wires. is it on the power pack? I check all 3 coils and none are firing at all. It either kill switch or the power pack. what would the kill switch wires be hooked to on the motor?

8. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    It will be hooked from the power pack to the junction therminal and goes from there to the switch. let me see if I can find a diaghram of it.

9. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I couldn't find a drawing of it but find the long black junction bar with all the wires hooked to it and the wire should be hooked into it there.
    You won't find a kill switch per say unless some one has added one up front where it has a yoke that hookes to you while under way. What the wire does is ground the ing system out to kill the engine.

10. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Ok heres what i found. On the bottom of the power pack under coils there a black/yellow wire. Then theres a black yellow stripe coming from my my wiring harness from my switch on motor but i cant tell where it goes. Can i just unhook the black/yellow wire from my power pack? or how?

I tested all 3 coils at power pack and they all 3 have 0 volts.

11. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Yea disconnect it at the power pack.

12. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Ok on that strip it doesn't have a black and yellow i took the cover off. On the power pack i removed the black (yellow stripe) at the bottom and turned it over and got no fire still. So does this mean power pack or are there other things that it could be? Can i test power pack?

13. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Could it be the stator? if its the power pack i will go buy a new one i just hate buying it and that not be what is wrong with it. Any more things i can test?

14. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    in my repair manual it says this..

Disconnect the lead at the no. 6 power pack terminal. (Which is black with yellow stripe) Crank The engine and observe the spark. If there is no indication of a spark on either coil or on only one, replace the power pack.

But could it be the stator or anything else causing power pack to not fire or is the powerpack the first thing that gets power? I thought the power pack got power from the stator or something? i dont know..

All i know is its not firing, its not the kill switch, and the coils have 0 volts when cranking over the engine.

15. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Are you testing voltage at the orange wire that goes to each coil? That would be voltage coming from the power pack, and you need a peak reading voltmeter to do this. Do you have that?

16. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Have a voltage meter i clipped hot on the orange wire and ground to the ground power pack and cranked over engine. it stayed at 0.00 volts

17. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Since its not the kill switch and all 3 coils have 0 fire(can hold plug and crank engine over no shock) does it have to be the powerpack? or could it be something else like the stator? how do i test the power pack? manual really doesnt make since talks about a neon tester or something.

18. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    OK you did the touchy/feely test on the plug wires, next best thing to a meter.:roll_eyes:

Now you need to determine if the stator is putting voltage to the power pack, and how much. Theres also a sensor coil in the timer base that puts out very low voltage. The magnets on the inner hub of the flywheel are part of that operation of your ignition system.

The stator generates ac voltage. A peak reading adapter for a meter or a peak reading meter is the only way you can find out how much. These types of meters or adapters change the ac voltage to dc voltage and that's what your tests require.

You could just get a power pack and put it on. You might get lucky. I know some shops that do that. There's also a sensor coil in the timer base that puts out about 1.5 volts to direct the power pack as to which coil to send voltage to, then the charge coil itself that generates the higher voltage to the power pack.

Throwing parts at an engine, isn't diagnosing it. If you get a powewr pack and it doesn't fix it, your stuck with it. Getting the right tools to find the problem is cheaper.

19. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Guys at local marine said they would fix it for $55 a hour. If they order power pack its $147. i can order a power pack online for $78.80. Think i may just order a power pack and its its not it ill be out 78.80. if it is it ill come out good.

20. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    It's your gamble.

You feel lucky, well do ya?:cool2:

55.00 an hr is a good rate. ours is 65.00 and most others are 70.00 or more around here.

If the power pack doesn't fix it you may be going back to find out what the problem is. Some people that work on their own engines are our best customers.

Recently replaced a whole lower unit over a guy who didn't know how to release his shift shaft to replace a water pump. Pryed it off and tore the guts out of the shifting mechanism in the lower unit.

Yes, there are people like that out there.