1973 Merc 850 Help Please

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by glenmorebuckman, Oct 3, 2009.

1. glenmorebuckman

glenmorebuckman New Member

State:
    Caneyville, Ken
    I am working on a 1973 Mercury 850 85 h.p. It belongs to a friend of mine and it runs fine but all the wires inside are badly corroded and he wanted me to replace them. I replaced all wires until I was down to the 2 wires running from the rectifier to the stator. I was planning on splicing new wire in at the stator but when I pulled the stator off I found all the wires were corroded so bad that only a few strands where holding them to the stator. Can these be repaired at an electrical shop or will he have to have a whole new stator? The stator is covered by some kind of hard plastic and don't see any way to get at the connections inside.

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If you can't get to the wires good enough to splice them then the stator will have to be replaced.

3. glenmorebuckman

State:
    Caneyville, Ken
    I believe I might have fixed it. I took a Dremel tool and cut into the casing and found some wire that was in better shape. I then soldered new wire to the old and I believe I'll try to seal it back up with some J.B. Weld. Wish me luck!

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If you didn't hit any other wires it should work but I would use something else to seal it because JB weld will carry a current across to the other one incase you might have left a strand out. I would use 3 m 4200 or 5200

5. Longjohn119

Longjohn119 Well-Known Member

State:
    Iowa
    Use some of that liquid black tape and apply several layers

I've potted entire electronics boards in that stuff to weather proof them, antenna connections, coils for radios, etc

6. glenmorebuckman

State:
    Caneyville, Ken
    Got her fixed and it works good!:big_smile:

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Thanks for the follow up Billy. I love to hear the sucess stories:big_smile:

8. glenmorebuckman

State:
    Caneyville, Ken
    Bubba, what causes these wires to deteriorate like that? Every old Mercury I've worked on , the sheathing on the wires are brittle and hard and the wire is badly corroded.

9. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Cheap made is all I can think of. :big_smile:

10. Longjohn119

Longjohn119 Well-Known Member

State:
    Iowa
    Mainly it's hundreds of repetitions of hot to cold temperatures coupled with the solvent qualities of gas and oil. Wire insulation went through some positive changes during the 80's making the insulation more resistant to oil and gas, heat stress, pollution and UV

I see the same thing in furnaces and air conditioners of the 70's vintage, the wire insulation cracks and sometimes even turns to dust

That said I have a '76 Merc 200 20 HP and the only bad wires were the ones going to the kill switch mainly where they had been laying in old oil that collected in the bottom of the housing

11. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    Well, I replaced one in my '72 that was poor looking. It didn't solve my problem but I went a marina for wire and the guy told me to go to an auto parts store. I didn't know I was looking for "tinned wire" and they probably had it and the guy was just lazy. Or they really didn't have it? Things don't corrode that fast with no salt.