1973 Merc 200 20Hp

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Dsage, Mar 27, 2008.

1. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Ok after much alot of time looking around and a lot of dead ends I tracked down a motor and picked it up last night. I got a hope is a great deal on a 1973 Merc 200. Not to bad of shape normal chipped paint and wear marks but pull over nice and had a nice sound when pulling it over. The guy that i got it from said it ran in the fall and it was fogged and put away. Now I just need some info on it. Just wondering what the oil gas mix on it is. Also I noticed that the kill switch button is torn and missing the contact, i found the part but it will be 2-3 week for it to get here. What can I do in the mean while so I can get out and use it some. Third thing is the tilt adjusting pin is missing. I also found that part. Could I use instead a grade 8 bolt and a wing nut for now? Also any info on the motor would be nice I have found a great site on old mercs but that is the only one so far.

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    The fuel mix will be 50:1 ratio.
    as for the bolt ,yep you can use that also.

3. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Thanks for the info on the gas mix. That is what the guy told me but I wanted to hear it someone else. Thank you very much.

4. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I got a motor just like that sitting at my friends house.
    It really pushed my friends 14 ft jon boat up the river.
    Unfortunately it needs a little work, so I don't use it anymore.

5. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I the motor running for a second in the yard today with the muffs on it but I shut her down fast when I did not see any water being pissed out of her. I turned the motor off and then tuned the water on to see if I did then but nothing. I see 2 vent like thing that are on the back side up above the water line that looks like it should be the are that the water come out but noting was. I'm I lookin in the right area and is there some thing that I can do so fush the area out if it has mud or something in it.

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Those two holes are exhaust relief holes. There will be a little water come out of there mostly a mist to a sprinkle. As for the pee hole I can't remember if this model had it or not but look at the rear cornors of the lower housing pan and there should be a round hose sticking out of the lower pan and that will be your tell tell. Take a small wire and run it up into this pipe and see if it is stopped up. Little critters like to build their homes up inside there. Also it takes a min to get the water up through the head and back out the relief ports.