1973 evinrude 9.5, help!

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Yakdawg, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Yakdawg

Yakdawg New Member

State:
    Cumming, GA
    I was recently given a small fishing boat and just now got around to working on it a bit. It was owned by an older man that passed away and last registered in 1997, so I am assuming that is the last time that it was used!

The motor is an Evinrude sporttwin 9.5 regular 15" shaft motor that is very clean and looks to be in great shape! I did not do anything to the motor, and decided to test it out, It did fire up , but took way to many pulls. I ran it for a couple of minutes hanging in a garbage can, then cut it off. I tryed to start it again and it didn't.

What would cause this, is my problem most likely fuel related or something with the ignition? I pulled the plugs and they looked very good. It seemed to run pretty good, a bit smokey but it is a 2cycle.

Any common things that I should look for/replace? Thanks in advance for any advice!!

2. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    I would try changing the spark plugs , and put some seafoam in the fuel, get that at orielys.It probably has fuel residue in the carb. you may have to put a carb kit in it. I rebuilt one it is easy and also make sure your impeller is working properly they sit and the rubber gets bad. sounds like a little TLC

3. roadkill636

roadkill636 New Member

State:
    warrenton misso
    check the wires going to the spark advance under the flywheel ,,,they move back and forth with the throttle and sometimes get brittle and break

4. tyrupp

tyrupp New Member

State:
    Ellis,Kans
    if you had your fuel mixed right I would say you need a carb kit, while your at it put new fuel line from fuel intake to to carb , plus new impeller

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    As stated, your best bet is to replace everything that could cause a problem. If it is not causing it right now, it will tomorrow or next week. With that in mind, all new fuel hoses... they do deteriorate and its difficult to tell. Rebuild the fuel pump...they also go bad quite often. Rebuild the carbs...since 97... I'm sure they are due. Run a compression check to see what you actually have. Get a spark tester (less than $10.00 at auto parts stores) cause they sure save you some time and frustration. Replace the impeller...by the time you don't see the stream of water it may be too late. Then, when you get it to running, you will have a very good motor.

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    With todays fuel any time a motor sets for at least a year then its best to tear the carbs down and rebuild them. In your case it. The plugs they build now are about as bad. I have seen them go bad in a motor sitting unused. Your motor takes a J6 champion gaped at 30. Don't try any other plug in that ole punkin head motor because it won't work properly. I know this from experience. Those 9.5 engines were good motors and had one weakness and that was the exhaust gasket in the mid section would go bad and you would have to remove the cowling to get it to run.

7. Yakdawg

Yakdawg New Member

State:
    Cumming, GA
    Thanks for the great info everyone!

Looks like its time to order some parts and get to work on the project, what is a good resource for parts for older outboards?

I will post up the results!

8. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If you can't find what You need then hit the contact us button and send Andrew a message and he will respond. I have done business with him on several occasions with good results.
    http://www.marineengine.com/